Pulled the trigger on a new, hopefully better mill today..Grizzly G0704

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Integrity Arms, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Many of you know I have been working for the last several months on a mini milling machine. Honestly this thing has been a pretty big challenge and very travel limited as well. So, I decided today to pull the trigger on a little bigger setup with a whole lot more travel and a whole lot more features. I need to buy a few additional items in order to use it but, most of what I have for the mini mill will actually work with this mill. Also want to let everyone know if you have any machining type items that you don't use, don't need, or just happen to have laying around I am open to purchase some additional items. Thanks. grizzly.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Very nice purchase! Congratulations, Steve!

Steve Owens likes this.

3. awp101

awp101 Veni, vidi sum oblitus

Jan 12, 2017
    Nice! If I had the scratch and the room, you're old machine would be headed my way...

Steve Owens likes this.
  4. mikemac

mikemac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Apr 22, 2017
    Hope you got it before the tariff. How much are they to get the power feed units. Don't buy a rotary table, as they are too much to set up without fixturing. Rotary cross slide is the best. IMHO

FWoo45 and Steve Owens like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I already have a Rotary table lol... Power feed is $395 didn't get before the Tarrif either.. But, I bought the one with out the DROs and bought a after market set for hundreds less the same one's I have been using which work great for the money. So, I bought a vise, some Collets, and the DRo on top of the mill. The Rotary table I got tilts and seems to be very, very precise. I was shocked at the quality tbh. The only thing I will be using it for is truing front straps, and doing cuts on the front straps. I have Bobo making me a fixture for that. But, I am definitely excited to get something with a bit more travel lol.. Should make set ups a bit less tedious. :) send me a link for the cross table your talking about so I can see what I might want to get in the future..

FWoo45 and Babboonbobo like this.
  6. mikemac

Apr 22, 2017
    If you have one already, then just fixture it. You say it tilts. Check the table at zero in the Y axis, then lift it at 30,45 degrees and check in the y axis again. If it does check zero, you got a good one. My advance table is for a 9X42 mill. The cross slide is 15 square inches. I will take a picture and post. Good luck.

Steve Owens likes this.
  7. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    What do you mean fixture it? I usually just indicate center. Then with slide on I indicate the slide down the x axis to make certain I lose nothing in the transition. If I do end up adjusting there its usually very minimal.

8. mikemac

Apr 22, 2017
    What you have is good because of tilting. It is just if you didn't have one. I would of look for a cross slide. My head tilts both ways. IMG_2516 (Large).JPG

FWoo45, Steve Owens and Babboonbobo like this.
  9. mikemac

Apr 22, 2017
    For swinging radius's ect.

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Well that's a nice setup I wish I had room for something like that. Bobo is making me and has already made me a couple fixtures for doing the radius cuts so I'm starting to get there LOL

11. mikemac

Apr 22, 2017
    Best wishes always.

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    And to you as well fine sir.. To you as well.

13. mikemac

Apr 22, 2017
    Steve I would still check the tilt of the table. Not to many will pass the test. Even my magnetic sine chuck is close, but no cigar. Do it at zero and 30,45 and 90 degree. Although the fixture Bobo is building will have a target, to indicate from. So it won't mater. That will be a handy fixture.

Steve Owens likes this.
  14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I will do that Mike, I plan on rechecking everything I have been using on this little mill, that I switch over to using on the bigger one, and of course I'll have to tram the table on the new one. I do like the tilting head fixture on this new machine as well it will tilt 90 degrees left and right.

15. mikemac

Apr 22, 2017
    Good to go IMHO Tram the table. On a new mill .004 backlash is normal. My father born 1895 was a machinist and machine rebuilder. He taught me how to adjust that. If the mill is like the others. An Irishman has no clue, how to make a long story SHORT. Sorry

Steve Owens likes this.
  16. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I don't ever remember operating a machine that didn't have backlash.. The DROs help fix that in a hurry, Had to shim the head on the one I have on one side because of head drop. But, got that figured out. And as much as I like to get things perfect, when I find how imperfect many of these slides and stuff are a couple pieces of shim stock can do wonders lol ;) I was telling someone the other day, that there is a huge difference in a guy like me doing machining and Bobo who is a tool and die maker his job requires .0005 tolerances, mine can in places be .0015.. In precision work, there are so many variables.. I wish you weren't so far away, I am sure a few days in your shop and I could walk away with a wealth of some very useful information ;)

17. mikemac

Apr 22, 2017
    I also have shims in my panograph in order to get the two tables lined up. Everything is relative. I have two CNCs The milltronics won't hold zero, needs ball screws. But I have a work around. ect.

18. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Thought this was going to get held up for awhile but, turns out it will be here tomorrow afternoon. They will call in the morning with a better ETA.. As, I told them I can't just sit around and wait for the truck to show up.. lol. So, anyway Hopefully by next weekend I will be up and running on a better mill.

FWoo45 and WWB like this.
  19. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Congrats Steve! Not sure how I missed this thread. Looks awesome and cant wait to see how it works for you. Pics are mandatory when it shows up.

WWB likes this.
  20. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Its here, now where to permenantly anchor it. 0921182041.jpg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted