1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I did some searching, but only found "some info" in the classifieds, and it must be closed, cuz i cannot reply.

anyway, i went to my LGS to buy some ammo, and i asked what's going on with the Colt 1911's, have they gotten any in yet. ( I had been going there frequently too with no luck)

yes, said the owners son, but he said they have no roll marks and no sights.

for reference, it is the Colt 1911 stainless Gov, series 70, sku 01911C-SSZ

what i was told is that he buys them, ships them to Nighthawk Customs and they "go to town on them, and this drives the costs up over the $3,000 point".

so that means these particular 1911's are to be for customizations.

so, i bought one, with no sights, to be added this week, and pick it up next week. gonna cost me just over $1,000 .

more than list price (899.00) i know, but it is still a colt, (minus the roll marks), that is engraved into the frame, and has the colt warranty.

and frankly cheaper than on Gunbroker, with the auction prices, and all the fee's and such.

the LGS's here just have not had any Colts (1911's) for a long time, and this would at least complete my "collection" of 1911's (for now)

but right now, even though it will not have the roll marks, i am satisfied i got a Colt 1911 in my stable

for more reference, here, we have to wait 8 days to pick up a gun purchase if we do not have CCW, which as of now, i still do not have mine.

so to wait an additional week, is common.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
These have been around a bit. The pony should have been stamped and maybe something subtle on the frame to offer proof of life that it’s a Colt and not some Brownells parts slapped together.
If I had one of these I’d stick with no sights and get the slide milled for an RMRcc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
These have been around a bit. The pony should have been stamped and maybe something subtle on the frame to offer proof of life that it’s a Colt and not some Brownells parts slapped together.
If I had one of these I’d stick with no sights and get the slide milled for an RMRcc.
the frame does have the Colt name, city, state, engraved into it, as well as Government, i had mentioned that above.

it is a mil spec

as for the sights, i'm going with the Novak 3 white dot on black, and the gunsmith has to dove tail the front sight, rather than it be staked.

i really don't want high dollar sights, i do quite well with "close to" factory sights.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Seen them posted a few times, usually in the bargain hunter section with GB links. Interesting that they are built to be sent to NH if that is true. Good price and good score, frankly Id pick up a couple if I came across them and use them for builds, save some time and money putting some @pistolwretch tier one sights on the gun that way.

Reactions: Dub and Old_Man

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just bought one this morning - blued .38 Super. For the price ($949.00) I was tempted to buy a couple, but, I’m trying to thin the herd, not add to it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Seen them posted a few times, usually in the bargain hunter section with GB links. Interesting that they are built to be sent to NH if that is true. Good price and good score, frankly Id pick up a couple if I came across them and use them for builds, save some time and money putting some @pistolwretch tier one sights on the gun that way.
I would love to have a gun with Chucks Tier One sights. Does he ever offer these for sale?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I have some insight into where these originated.

Altamont is deeply tied to Colt, making their custom grips for quite a long time. Altamont also has a talented in-house engraver and sells custom work. Here's things they do:

The slides start bare and the s/n is in the range of the Colt blank guns we've seen. I think as said above, they are meant for Talo, Altamont, etc. and custom work, but for some reason Colt blew out a bunch of them retail for no good or apparent reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts