1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Primary Weapons System dealer who I've worked with over the last few years had a recent inventory reduction sale and gave me a deep discount of a new PWS MK3....should be at my FFL next week......impressive reviews on some of the sniper and long range blogs....anybody ever shot one of these?....I had been looking at AI builds before this came up on my radar.....now to find a range for it; my local GR is limited to a 200 yard line......looking forward to it....have a Leopold M5x5-25x56MM with a G2B Mil-Dot to mount on it and plan to sight in at 100 yards next week...here's a blog pic....
Product White Line Black Machine

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Randy...I've looked at that range several times...have you shot there?...it's about 2 hours from me but looks much nicer than the Alachua public range....

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,516 Posts
I like it. I've been thinking about a long range precision rifle for a while. Was 308 the only caliber you were considering? What made you choose 308?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, Jeff.....if all things were equal and I were younger, I'd probably opt for 6.5 Creedmore or .338 Lapua or maybe 300 WinMag.....but I'm not going to shoot competitively or hunt at distance; I just enjoy the gestalt of the whole distance shooting gig, so I went with a common caliber that I share with multiple guns and one that I reload....I'll give up a little in ballistics and accuracy but gain in price and availability.....so, convenience mainly and not a very academic or sophisticated decision.....at my age, I enjoy shooting lots of different guns/calibers with more enthusiasm than expertise.....trap, sporting clays, 1911s, revolvers, AR-10/15s etc....you sound like you're thinking of a more focused experience, and I'd suggest one of the more accepted long-range calibers if that's your intent.....hope that helps....good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do....Perry

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,516 Posts
Hey, Jeff.....if all things were equal and I were younger, I'd probably opt for 6.5 Creedmore or .338 Lapua or maybe 300 WinMag.....but I'm not going to shoot competitively or hunt at distance; I just enjoy the gestalt of the whole distance shooting gig, so I went with a common caliber that I share with multiple guns and one that I reload....I'll give up a little in ballistics and accuracy but gain in price and availability.....so, convenience mainly and not a very academic or sophisticated decision.....at my age, I enjoy shooting lots of different guns/calibers with more enthusiasm than expertise.....trap, sporting clays, 1911s, revolvers, AR-10/15s etc....you sound like you're thinking of a more focused experience, and I'd suggest one of the more accepted long-range calibers if that's your intent.....hope that helps....good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do....Perry
Not really thinking much different than you on it, Perry. I too have more enthusiasm than expertise , but I like nice stuff too. So I usually end up buying stuff that is really good, and I am the weak link. We sound alike on our skill : passion ration. I am trying to get my caliber count down a little. So I get the reasoning behind the .308. I once calculated the cost of loading 338 Lapua. I don't remember what it was, but I remember it was a lot. The farthest range distance I can find within two hours of my home is 200 yards. My AR15 actually does very well at that range with the right ammo. But it still doesn't stop me from being interested in long distance precision shooting.

·
NRA Life Member
2,167 Posts
Perry - I have shot there it is a very nice range. The Range Officers dove on us the first time we were there and made sure we understood all their rules clearly. Once they see that you know what you are doing and conduct yourself safely they either leave you alone or stand around and BS with you all afternoon lol. They have long range shooting matches there regularly and are the only 1000 yard public range in the state. About 45 minutes from me.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Randy....Let me sight the M3 in this next week, and I'll see if I can find a day to get down there.....also need to get the JP LRP sighted....maybe a twofer...actually, I think my new Tracking point M900 is at my FFLs...that will require no sighting in....heck, looks like a threefer....a .308WIN shoot'em up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.