1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Trooper with rib and underlug scabbed on.
Not a Python frame, not a credible fake barrel mod.
I think the barrel is marked Colt.

Might have been a PPC "service revolver" back when Colts were considered working guns.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I agree, looks to be a Python frame, perhaps with some kind of custom barrel meant for competition? Reminds me of some of the custom PPC guns from the 80's.
A PPC Open Competition revolver would have a 6" barrel and a much taller Patridge front sight for neck hold at 50 yards!

For Service Revolver it would be viable!

Never saw a Colt or Ruger at the larger matches or higher classes! Smiths ruled because of the predictable "triggery stuff"!

The ramped sight indicates a "holster" style front sight!

Smiles,

Reactions: Mtek

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,829 Posts
Well, according to the barrel, it's a Colt 357 which was a model they made in the '50s/early '60s. I knew they existed but haven't ever seen very many, they're fairly rare. Somebody added the hideous rib and underlug, my guess it that it was someone's effort to "Python" it up. Might be a great shooter, who knows.
Here are some pics and info I grabbed off the interwebs real quick - https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/range-report-colt-357/

A 6" version, check the rollmarks on the barrel-

Reactions: duketbrd88

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I don't usually get bothered about guns now considered Significant Historical Artifacts and Valuable Collector's Items that were modified back when they were just second hand guns, but this one seems a loss to the revolver world. The 357 was the pre-Python, post-Shooting Master top of the line, and not common.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.