close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about concealed carry

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by minderasr, Sep 1, 2011.

1. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    What do you do when (for example) you have a doctor's appointment? Do you leave your handgun at home, lock it in the car, or hope your doctor understands?

Just curious.

2. John Ryder

John Ryder Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I'm SOL for my doctor visits since I use the VA. No firearms are allowed on their property, but I leave my pistol in my car. If I had a regular Dr. I'd just carry a J-frame in my pocket , which wouldn't be seen.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    On one of my Doctor visits, it was in a rather unfriendly part of Miami.
    Sincce I knew IWB carry was not an option, I removed all contents from a
    DayPlanner. I placed the EMP and holster in it and hand carried from the truck.

For a few VA visits, I have a steel lockbox of sorts that I stow the weapon in
    while I am in the facility. It's not a bank vault, but it's better than under the
    seat or glovebox.

4. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I frequently have to unholster for places that I go (dropping little guy at daycare, etc), and I lock it under the seat in a Gunvault box that is cabled to the seatframe. I have one in each car.

[​IMG]

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Doctor? what's that?

i haven't been to a doctor myself, but i've carried to my son's appointments.

6. Jim S.

Jim S. Evil Capt. Kirk from G.T.

Aug 25, 2011
    I recently went to see a doctor and didn't think it was going to be a problem carrying my gun.
    However during the visit he asked me to take my shirt off and sit on the exam table.
    I got up and turned my gun side away from him and took my shirt off. Set the gun down on the counter top and covered it with my shirt.
    I'm pretty sure he could tell what was going on but he didn't say anything.
    Luckily I live in Indiana where most people are not alarmed by guns or people who carry guns.
    I leave it in the car after that episode.

7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The box I have it like Hokie's but it is a key only lock

8. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Both of my Drs. hunt so there is no problem. In fact they usually ask what gun I've got.

9. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a Gunvault biometric safe in my car and I use it a lot. It's really great, and much more secure than a glovebox, especially if it doesn't even have a lock. I highly recommend them.

10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I use a small (12X6X6) safe/lockbox as well. I mounted it in the back of the FJ with two hardened steel 1/4" bolts... Ron

11. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I have one with a combination lock and one with a key lock. I prefer the combination lock.

12. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I have a gun vault box in my car as well. But it's hard to inconspicuously hide the gun without people observing.

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I keep a Midway zip case (gun rug) in the cab wedged between the console and my seat. I unholster the pistol and place it in the case before exiting the truck; then walk to the back, open the box and leave it there. It's hard for anyone to see anything as I'm standing at the back like I'm getting something out. It's a dead give-away for mall type car burglars, but I'm betting most smash and grab's won't be expecting the lock box.. Ron

14. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Advantage to wearing a man-purse. :)

deadite

15. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I would off-body carry in this situation. I'm not sure if you're talking about a no-guns sign on the front door like my clinic has, which I could care less about. I disregard those signs all the time. But the Dr where he may ask me to undress, it's off-body.

16. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Mmmmm, how so? Mine is under my passenger seat, and you can't see it unless you pull the seat forward. What I do is pull the seat forward, open it up, put my gun in it close it and pull the seat back over the case.

I also have the biometric version which uses my fingerprint to open it (it has a key as well). This to me makes it a lot easier to open because I don't have to fumble with a key and that would probably take longer anyway!

17. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    i think he means when he takes it off his hip and puts it into the vault.

18. matthew03

matthew03 Member

Sep 24, 2011
    I pocket carry a J frame when visiting the Dr's Office and lock my fighting sized weapon in the glovebox.

19. Colt 45

Colt 45 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I usually carry even when seeing the doctor, the exception being the doctor I see in El Paso. He has a "No Guns" sign posted at the entrance.

Max

20. SteedGun

SteedGun New Member

Sep 19, 2011
    I have two Gunvault bios in my home so I appreciate the recommendation on the car. I have a Wrangler that I frequenly have the doors/top off and just storing in the glove box bothers me. While I understand nothing is perfect I think the Gunvault in the car is a good idea. Thanks!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted