1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Question about cutting a french border…

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Metal Smith 
#1 ·
A) how deep (technically, wide) to make the cut?

B) Use a tool with a sharp tip, or small radiused tip (.005, .010, 1/64” etc)?

C) Make the cutter parallel to the base (perpendicular to the slide flat), or make the top & flat & cut symmetric by putting the cutter at an angle to bisect the intersection of the slide flat at top-tangent?
Handwriting Font Parallel Slope Diagram

D) If parallel, cut it centered right ON the flat/round intersection line, or offset the cutter tip slightly below so the width of the cut comes up to the slide top intersection line?
Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Diagram

E) why the hell are single-point threadmill cutters so expensive. And I don’t have an arbor saw for slitting either. Can I use a HSS double-angle cutter like this?
Double Angle Chamfer Cutter 1/2 dia X 60 degree MariTool

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think there's any specific rules when it comes to a French boarder. It's my understanding that they were done originally to terminate the stippling or matte on the top of the slide. HSS DA cutter should work fine. I vote for offset.

#3 ·
A-D) My vote is to be unique and pick what you (or your customer) like best. Who cares how other people do it?

E) Single point threadmills and 60º double angle cutters are identical, except for maybe some additional clearance for the Z direction helix angle on threadmills. You could use radiused or sharp point double angle cutters of any included angle you want, or a full radius keyseat cutter. You could use an ultra fast feedrate to give the cut a faceted effect. You could make the cut with large radii in the tool path to give the cut a wavy look. The sky is the limit.

F) French boarders are ugly. :p

#5 ·
A) how deep (technically, wide) to make the cut? B) Use a tool with a sharp tip, or small radiused tip (.005, .010, 1/64” etc)? C) Make the cutter parallel to the base (perpendicular to the slide flat), or make the top & flat & cut symmetric by putting the cutter at an angle to bisect the intersection of the slide flat at top-tangent? View attachment 1230632 D) If parallel, cut it centered right ON the flat/round intersection line, or offset the cutter tip slightly below so the width of the cut comes up to the slide top intersection line? View attachment 1230633 E) why the hell are single-point threadmill cutters so expensive. And I don’t have an arbor saw for slitting either. Can I use a HSS double-angle cutter like this? Double Angle Chamfer Cutter 1/2 dia X 60 degree MariTool
Yes, that will be fine if it’s sharp, but ideally you’d want one much thinner… and just go into it parallel, you got it!….and as for depth, that will vary on your tool…..try going in .005 each pass and then see if you like it.

#7 ·
IMHO and I've sold a few tools in my day... The diameter would be more of a factor than the thickness because it'll move the work piece further away from the centerline of the spindle. It could magnify any runout in the machine or workholding but for what you're doing it'll be fine.

#11 ·
Well I’m probably no where near as schooled as you are on tooling, but I make the same line at .005 up to .030 with either of these cutters…. These are 60deg double angle and a 60 saw….. now past that depth the smaller cutter would make a wider cut obviously…hope this helps
Guitar accessory Font Rectangle Nickel Electric blue

#13 ·
Some slides (Colt) will not have a straight line where the round and flat intersect - you'll spend some time trying to indicate that to make it look good. If you're struggling to find a straight line sometimes you can go ahead and make the cut just a little low and bring the round to the cut with a descent file and some sandpaper especially on the end of the cuts if your going with a run out type of cut .

the arbor and saw that @Kandros Customs has pictured is a 60 degree -.062 wide and around 1.25 diameter , those are what I like , from EGW and they can be reground if you can spare an arbor for the grind shop to use . EGW arbors are a really nice stepped cap design very precise .

#14 ·
What you are talking about is not a 'FRENCH BORDER', a true French Border borders the entire slide.

Reactions: Slapshot
#18 ·
SWEET!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.