Question about frontstrap checkering

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by too_pure, Dec 8, 2011.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Some pictures of frontstrap checkering appear to show the pyramids standing higher than what appears to be the original profile of the frontstrap. Like in the pic below. Most obvious right accross the top border of the checkering. How does it get like that?

[​IMG]

2. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    And here is one that looks like I'd expect it to look. These pictures may look familiar . . . .

[​IMG]

3. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    The checkering isn't proud of the original front strap, the high cut above the checkering is taken down to make it a smooth transition and allow a higher grip. (i.e. It sticks out because the part above is filed down.)

4. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Wow. I have a whole new appreciation for that now. That's some nice filing.

5. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    It could also be milling and then filing, followed by sanding, sanding, sanding and some sanding.

6. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    The front strap is trued with a radius cutter first. Then the frame is checkered. The long lines are done first and then the cross lines are done. At the end, the high cut is done above the checkering to remove the funk left over. At least that's how mine and that Springfield up there are done. That's machine checkering.

On hand checkering the lines are laid out the same way but a top border line is cut and the checkering is literally the same height as the front strap itself. You could, however sand above the checkering to remove material above the checkering to make a hand job stand proud. See my thread on 20lpi hand checker. It's done that way.

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    :pound:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted