1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Feed my Addiction!
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone verify if a Bill of Sale is necessary when doing an interstate transfer of a firearm from FFL to FFL? The reason I’m asking is that I did a recent trade with another Addict member. I filled out BOS papers for the pistols, signed them, and sent them, along with the pistol, for him to sign and return to me in a self addressed stamped envelope. I have yet to receive them after contacting him twice, last excuse was “I’ve been very busy”. I’m not gonna keep hounding him as it seems apparent he doesn’t want to send them back to me for some reason. Since we went through our respective FFL’s, can I assume that the BOS is not really necessary from a legal standpoint? Any input would be appreciated.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,191 Posts
^^^Thanks Steve, that’s what I thought but wanted to be sure!
I will say this, if you do a local FTF I'd get a bill of sale... I've done some deals local and guy not want to sign a bill of sale on a firearm that was registered or recorded at least in my name and I refused to do the deal without a BOS.. In a case like that with no FFL involved you'll want proof of getting rid of the firearm..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A BOS is most useful for when you run out of toilet paper - or you want to give an ATF agent more potential ammo to use against you. A BOS has ZERO standing in court as far as "proof" of sale/transfer - and is an excellent way to enjoy identity theft, or provide a thief a paper trail of where to go look for more guns.

Reactions: dnuggett and fc2464
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.