Question for the "I never sell any of my guns" folks

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 98cwitr, Feb 25, 2019.

1. 98cwitr

98cwitr Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Heirlooms aside, why? Sure, at risk guns (ARs/AKs/etc) I get too, but for the life of me I really can't wrap my head around this position. A gun is a pretty decent investment and a way to at least put money into something that will retain its value. Would love to hear from folks that ascribe to this notion.

Recoil likes this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    The caveat for me is that I will to obtain a better gun, a rare gun, or one I have always wanted. Tastes change.... But, I generally only trade the money into a different gun. So, technically I didn't sell one. :space:

3. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right...

Sep 11, 2012
    Curious why you consider AR/AK/etc "at risk" guns?

4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I suppose you want me to sell off some of my children too?

5. 98cwitr

98cwitr Member

Apr 11, 2018
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/66

Sure, they come after them every year, and thus far it's been shot down (pun intended), but there's a lot of people wanting to rid law abiding Americans from literally owning them. One day it's coming (many think), so it makes sense to hang onto them (as well as your mags).

6. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    If you buy what you like and don't need the money from a sale, why sell?

7. BBP

BBP Enabler Sponsor

Feb 1, 2014
    I just want to keep buying them and having them. I've sold some that I should have kept. Well a lot that I should have kept. Buying guns isn't getting any easier and state laws keep getting worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    I have a sweet WC AR15 that says differently :D

9. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    If you really believe this just get ahead of the curve and join the Kuomintang now, they will supply you with guns, and you won't have to buy any.

10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011

I think that there MAO fella might have some issues here in Texas. Actually, I know he would.

11. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Sell them, don't sell them. Nobody's business.

Bro. Pappaw likes this.
  12. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I seem to lose them in random boating accidents before I get a chance to sell them!

13. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    When and if that happens the left will suffer many. many, deaths. I have been arming myself and family for years for just shut an event.

After Sandy Hook and ya couldn't buy ammo or a gun the KY police said we would all be dead in 24 hours if we tried to take these peoples guns. If ya believe what ya say move somewhere else just not here. We don't need that attitude here.

14. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I've been around guns for a long time ( 60+ years )...and I'm not an impulse buyer.../ I buy what I know I will really love ( with a few exceptions over the years that were foolish impulse buys...), I keep everything because it wasn't an impulse buy.

I never looked at the collection as an investment ../ my investments in the stock market and real estate have done way better over the years -- but sure the guns have increased over time.

I accumulated some duplicates over the years ... with the express idea of giving them to my adult sons .....to start their collections ... ( 1911's, some classic Sigs, some S&W revolvers, some Browning over under shotguns & a few rifles....) --- and that has been done, so the herd has been thinned.

As I get into my 70's...there are some guns in the safe that I don't shoot much anymore...so some of them will go eventually ../ ...( I sold all of my .44 Mag S&W revolvers, my reloading components for .44 mag last year to a buddy that said he wanted them... --- ) ....but I still have well over 25 handguns -- a dozen or so target grade over under shotguns..and a few rifles .... and I don't need the money, so I'll keep them as long as I am still able to shoot.

If I were to get sick or take a big turn health wise...I'll sell them to other collectors in my area so my wife will not have to deal with them -- they are not her thing. ( just like she has plans to deal with her expensive jewelry down the road )....and if something was to happen suddenly to me, I have designated some close friends to assist my wife.

I don't understand guys that constantly buy and sell...and buy and sell ...all the time. There are guys I know at the local range...that rarely keep a gun more than a year...or their cars, etc...( hell I have only had 2 cars in last 15 yrs --- and the new one is only 2 yrs old...and I may not ever need another one..)... I just buy what I want....and keep it.

15. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    You didn't listen to me!!!! Where I live they won't try to take your your guns. They will die and know it if they try. Federal agents, local police etc....... I live in a free state when it comes to gun rights. My boss owns 300+ and I own a few myself. Not worried at all as the cops here are not all gun nuts but enough are and they don't want to DIE. Every cop in this state will die if they try to take them away. Do you get it now. We are stupid, ignorant, uneducated "hillbillies" who don't give a Sh!t about what the govt. says. I will take these people over any Yale, Harvard idiot who exists. We are freedom loving crazies and man I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    I buy now so my son who’s 12 won’t have to. I buy now so my grandchildren won’t have to. Somehow I don’t see my son being able to buy what I have when he’s ready to and wants to. So I am preparing the kings arsenal for the prince to inherit is how I see it. I try not to sell much but sometimes I do.

17. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    They can "step up and use them against me" anytime "they" want. Number and Nature? Are you from San Francisco? That is the kind of language used there.

Who is "they"?

18. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Is it ? Asking in all seriousness, is a gun a “good investment” that will “retain its value” ? Sure there are the cases where someone has a safe queen that sells for 1000x what was paid for it, but I’m guessing those are the exceptions.

Too often ads in the classifieds state “I have $xxxx into this custom build, and so am taking a loss at this price....”. What I value (and will pay a premium for) may not be what someone else values (and hence won’t pay for).

Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro. Pappaw and Greg45acp like this.
  19. limbkiller

Aug 18, 2011
    Yea it will be because we will kill everyone of them as OUR National guard and the citizens here will have fun defending the Constitution. Of course they will die LONG before they get here. LOL plus most in the National Guard will not fight on the Communist side. Know several in the guard and they are like me. And I'm not talking enlisted men. I LIVE IN A FREE STATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you don't understand!!!

98cwitr and leadfarmer like this.
  20. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Your post assumes that those tank drivers will side with the govt. It assumes pilots will also. It assumes much. I beg to differ and believe many if not most will refuse to wage war on the American populace. Sure some will follow orders lock step. But I think by and large the people will also take control of much of the weaponry the govt has and there will be plenty of vets available who know how to use it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted