Question on Recoil Springs.....

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by walleyemonster, Jan 10, 2019.

1. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I have a list on wire diameter/spring weight for full size 1911's. Not sure where I got the list. If it was here or on an internet wandering somewhere. I find it handy for referencing what spring is in my gun.
    Is there a wire diameter/spring weight list for Commander size pistols? I assume that the wire diameter is different for Commander size pistols as the length of the spring is different.
    It gets frustrating as I have a Ruger 9mm Commander. The owners manual only specs the recoil spring as Item (8). No spring weight is given. I checked Ruger's Parts list online, and it doesn't even list a Commander Spring.
    I may play around with spring weights in the future, but that is hard to do when you don't know what the starting point is. Any info out there that gives wire diameter/spring weights for the shorter Commander length springs would be helpful.

2. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    When I had a Commander-sized 1911, I went with 20-pound springs. I use 16-pounders in my five-inch 1911s.

3. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Colt Commanders use 18# springs, many others use 20# springs - Dan Wesson for instance.

4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    In my Baer Stinger and Colt's Combat Commander, I use 18lb recoil and 23lb mainsprings.

5. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Yep 20# in commanders and 18# in government- can go lighter if you’re shooting light loads but I’ve always heard not to go lighter than those if you’re shooting factory 230 grain. Go heavier if you’re shooting plus p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  6. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm pretty sure Chuck Rogers posted a list of wire diameter/spring weights sometime last year. However you may want to verify whether wire diameters are consistent between brands and/or materials. I don't remember if Chuck said.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I’ve always believed to run the heaviest spring your gun will reliably run. Wolff sells recoil spring assortment kits, and that is what they recommend. I find most of my commanders have done best with 22 lb springs and 230 grain.

18# in govt models .

simonp likes this.
  8. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Have you ever had issues with the factory weight springs (16# Govt 18# Commander) ?
    I personally have only tried lighter springs in range guns. Carry guns stay with OEM spring weights.
    I just curious about the difference and what is gained or lost.

Badabing11 likes this.
  9. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I have a spring chart/wire diameter for full size .45 pistols. I use 18lb springs in my full size with the small radius firing pin stop. Makes the gun very flat shooting in regards to recoil.
    The 9mm Ruger Commander I own, says nothing in the manual about what spring weight is in it. Nor can I find any info on the spring at Rugers website. My caliper says the spring is .038 in diameter.
    What I want to know is if there is a chart for commander pistols that says a .038 spring is a specific weight.
    My full size chart says....
    12lb spring is .042
    14lb spring is .043
    16lb spring is .045
    18.5 spring is .047
    20lb spring is .048
    What I don't know is if a shorter commander spring would use the same diameters for rating a shorter spring. Hope this clears things up a bit.

10. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I never had a government that came with a 16#. It ran well with the 18 and I left it alone.

With 18# springs, my first commander ejected casings at me head very fast. I had all kinds of things done by a smith to correct and the best I could get was a 70 % reduction. I read the directions in the wolff spring pack. I put in a 20, it improved. I also noticed the recoil felt softer and muzzle rise was less. I tried a 22. It was even nicer shooting and the ejection pattern became much more consistent .

Opinions on this vary . Some think it may wear out your gun faster . I had one of the top smiths tell me he agreed with it, and another who said it wouldn’t hurt anything. A third said the “right way” was to install an extended ejector. I did this on one gun and it worked very well, but I had a slide that had so many brass marks in front of the chamber, I was reluctant to do it on my higher end gun’s beautiful finish.

11. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
  12. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Badabing11 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted