Question: what commercially made pistol would be best for...?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Mythree, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    Combat: Pistol/Caliber based on a one shot (not head) incapacity - center mass or major limb ...

Base your argument / suggestions on major manufacturers companies that could actually handle the order and the following:

ease of use
    accuracy
    ease to clean
    longevity
    ease to adapt to
    how well it will run without cleaning
    cost of ammo
    cost of pistols and gear
    parts availability
    weight
    capacity

or anything else you may deem important that I may have overlooked ... will be interesting to see the responses please be specific -

2. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    None. That's why we use rifles in "combat"

3. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Well, ignoring the arguments about one-shot incapacitation with handgun rounds...I'd say a Glock 21 (or 21SF) would be a good one to consider.

I carry a Glock 17 on- and off-duty myself. It fits my hands well and I can do fast and accurate follow-up shots with it. It's reasonably accurate for its purposes and very reliable when it's maintained properly.

Andy

4. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    There is only one answer. 10mm. That would be one shot incapacitation of an entire army. G20 for the win.

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
  6. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Delta Elite would be my choice based on the criteria. G20 would be my second choice.

7. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Well your first question is easy, 10mm as previously said, but when you bring into the discussion all your other features you want, there becomes no single winner overall and everyone has their opinion. I think the Glock 22 in 40 S&W would be my choice. It is about the perfect blend of power and ease of use in my opinion. Ammo costs more than a 9mm but not quite as much as a .45, but close. I believe the Glock to be the best platform for the features you seek, and the Glock 21 in .45 is a bit big in the grip area and does not fit everyone, another reason the G22 is the better choice in my opinion. It still offers 15 rounds in the magazine, which is a lot of firepower.

8. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    ...? hmmmmmmm since when did they stop issuing a sidearm in the Military, did I miss something?

9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    They didn't my Wife deploys to A'stan in a short time.

She will carry BOTH, a Beretta & an M4

10. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    S&W .500 as the revolver is easier to maintain (imo) and for one shot capability it is overkill..downside of course is ammo cost.. but I would never feel under-gunned with this handgun

11. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    No you didn't miss anything. It's your "one shot center mass major limb incapacitating" premise I find issue with. Handguns in general are a poor choice for that result and the wrong tool for the job, but you knew that:thumb:

In addition, "combat" is not a milatarily restrictive term:der:...to that end G17

wishing her safe travels and conveying much respect:hail:

12. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I would lean more to a pelvis shot. Breaking it and opening up the femoral artery will put one down and bled out in about a minute.

1911s meet much of the jist of your question, but they must be loose/broken in enough to run reliably (dirty); or built to do so. Some shoot semi autos better than revolvers; however, revolvers offer larger calibers. Larger calibers offer larger bullets with more stopping energy.

1911's have an average weight and size, revolvers can get pretty damn big and heavy.

Plenty of parts for 1911s, not so with revolvers.

I'd lean toward a 1911 in 10mm followed by the 38 super (+P). Ammo is not on every shelf, but can be found. Other calibers (ammo) are harder to find or offer less muzzle energy or are more expensive to procure.

Capacity doesn't matter. One shot. Of course, with multiple perps (all shot in the ass and bled out) 10 round mags would be about right. :biggrin1:

13. deadite

deadite #15 to Register! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
  15. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I'm going to go against the grain based on your list. S&W Model 19/66 4"

ease of use- YEP
    accuracy- Oh yeah
    ease to clean- Coat hanger and toilet paper
    longevity- Yep
    ease to adapt to- Uh-huh
    how well it will run without cleaning- Til the cows come home
    cost of ammo- Cheap!
    cost of pistols and gear- Very competitive
    parts availability- TONS O PARTS
    weight- Reasonable and well balanced
    capacity- Speed loaders!

16. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I am SO glad to see we have many 10mm believers here.

I going with a S&W 460 XVR with 10" bbl. Mount a foregrip to it (AR type that is perpendicular to barrel) and a sling.

It'll blow the legs off of 5 people in one shot...even if you hit the pinky toe.

17. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I"ll see your 460XVR and up the ante with this......http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...5L-GQ0gGJoJmtCw&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAg&dur=232

:lol:
    DAT85

18. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    that looks nasty!

19. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    Why is it that people think a loose 1911 is super reliable. My tight commander has about 40k downrange... Never a hiccup. It has been to a few pistol courses and been run dry dirty Covered in mud and never a hiccup. Any gun made right can run 100%.

20. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    We have a winner. :thumb:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted