Springfield Armory Questions for SA Professional Owners

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by villdetwink, May 9, 2020.

1. villdetwink

villdetwink ...Terminal Addict Supporting Addict

May 1, 2019
    So, My LGS got in a couple "New Old Stock" 45 ACP Professionals.

Never owning one, or even having the opportunity to handle one in person prior to today.
    It has been my understanding that the lock-up is extremely tight... almost unable to break the slide loose by hand at first.

The one I handled today was not that tight at all, I dare say a couple of my DW's have had a tighter lug to slide fit. Don't get me wrong, the pistol was beautiful and I still wanted to whip out the CC to bring her home... however, it just did not fit my expectations/assumptions.
    I could see the bushing/barrel was well fitted, and the slide to frame was near perfect.

Questions:
    Are the Professional models supposed to be as tight as I have heard about?

At the barely below MSRP asking price, I wanted to get a little more info from the knowledgeable Addicts here.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    mag1 likes this.
  2. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    I don’t have the answers you seek but mine (2017 Manufacture date) is tighter than a virgin

Dub and villdetwink like this.

3. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    I would call a big BS on 1000 rounds being fired at the factory.

4. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I have 4. All we’re tight when new. There is zero chance they fire 1000 rounds out of each gun before shipping.

I’m assuming these are newer production ones? All of mine are somewhat older while still under contract with FBI. I haven’t seen or felt a newer one, but I know they are pumping them out faster now. Maybe that has something to do with it?

5. itsmekevin

itsmekevin Active Member

Jan 16, 2018
    I also call BS on that 1000 round test fire.

I would ask the shop if you could handle another on in their inventory and compare the fit.

Uncle Bob and villdetwink like this.
  6. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I have three SACS Professionals, they were made during the FBI contract period, they were all super tight, not to the point I couldn't slide the slide back, but I pulled back the hammer so it was a little easier. The barrel bushings were also very, very tight. They did loosen up about 300-400 rounds on average. I can't speak for the after contract Professional.

Dub, Glock2740 and villdetwink like this.
  7. villdetwink

May 1, 2019
    Thanks for the replies...

They got in (1) Standard and (1) Operator (Light Rail) model... I didn't fondle the Operator, as it was the Standard that I am/was interested in.
    Though in hindsight I probably should have checked out the Operator.

This Professional was a 2012... so, I can only assume based on my expectations and what I am hearing about tightness, it might not be 100% BNIB as touted.

Hmm...the mystery deepens.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 10:44 AM
  8. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I’ve owned 3 and still have 2.
    Mine are older.
    Bought new, mine was so tight I thought something was wrong with it.
    The other was tight as hell too, but it had been shot by the original owner maybe 50 rounds or so.
    Third one was a well used early model with the Nowlin barrel. It wasn’t nearly as tight but was thoroughly broken in.
    My personal thoughts on a Pro, is for the money, I’d steer someone towards a Wilson/Nighthawk/Guncrafter, etc.
    A. Because they can be built your way and are just as good, if not better and are built with better parts.
    B. A Pro is a Pro is a Pro.
    They’re all the same. And for that kind of $, I personally want some things done like I want them done.

All that being said, it may sound like I’m not a fan of the Pro, but I actually am.
    I’m just trying to be brutally honest about the “mystique” that has seemed to surround the Pro.
    At least the ones that were produced longer than a few years ago.
    The newer models don’t seem to live up to the Pro standards. Especially the 9mm versions.
    Just my 2 cents, which is all it’s worth anyway. ;)

mag1, Dub, dash and 3 others like this.
  9. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Mine was built in 2009 and has around 2k rounds through it. It’s not too tight, but not loose, in any way.

You’re saying they got a 2012 build in, as new old stock, that has never had a previous owner?

villdetwink likes this.
  10. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 New Member

Nov 9, 2012
    What are they asking for them?

nikerret likes this.
  11. villdetwink

May 1, 2019
    Yes, they actually got in several New Old Stock Springfield's, only (2) Professionals though. I did not ask where they acquired them, however they are being sold as BNIB.

$3199.99

mag1 likes this.
  12. JM44

JM44 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2018
    I personally wouldnt pay that. You can find them in good used shape on here for $2,400 or so. Shoot I just bought a GI so I could probably be talked out of mine right now. I also think it’s actually better to by these used they seem to have a better trigger and loosen up around 500 rounds or so (just my opinion)

mag1, nikerret and villdetwink like this.
  13. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I've had 3 Pro's pass through my collection and all 3 were different. 2006 Nowlin Pro was absurdly tight; could not turn the bushing without a metal wrench and would usually kickstart to get out of battery.

2007-2008 NM Pro was easy to rack with zero difficulty and the barrel bushing was as loose as my Wilson.

Another 2008 NM and was a middle ground.

villdetwink likes this.
  14. villdetwink

May 1, 2019
    I have been tempted several times here... unfortunately I usually don't have the cash in my gun fund (I try to only buy when I have cash, not big on going further into debt)

However, today my impulsivity almost got the best of me!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    mag1 and Dub like this.
  15. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    I thought we were talking about tightness in racking the slide. My bushing is so damn tight I wasn’t sure I would ever get it off the slide.

I agree with watching on here. Some go for $2k, which is a deal on anything but an abused Pro. Excellent condition samples go for $2,100-2,500.

On the flip side, there aren’t a lot of opportunities left to be the first owner of a Pro made while they were still on the FBI contract.

mag1, JM44 and villdetwink like this.
  16. Al414

Al414 Active Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I doubt it’s 1000 rounds but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was higher than you’d expect. Les Baer says his guns are test fired 100-200 rounds before leaving the factory.

villdetwink likes this.
  17. khend1

khend1 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2013
    My Pro from the early 2000’s is as smooth as can be, and bushing is finger tight. It rivals my full customs in the smoove department. :)

AF04DB8A-82FC-4BF6-9B01-D31CB7D5354A.jpeg

mag1, Dub, GMPHK and 4 others like this.
  18. nikerret

Mar 2, 2019
    Just showing off:

[​IMG]

1L26, Dub, GMPHK and 1 other person like this.
  19. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
  20. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Oh me too 509FDA5D-8AAD-4526-B891-A29422400308.jpeg

Jameeson, Dub, GMPHK and 4 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted