1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I'm about to pick up a new-model Dan Wesson V-Bob in black Duty Finish. This is a compromise, as both my shop and 2 neighboring shops have assured me that getting a stainless would be unlikely in the near future.

I had been considering having just the slide brought down to stainless, sort of a reverse 2-tone. I emailed Keith at DW and asked his opinion about this. He stated: "The black Duty treat is part of the steel it is not an applied finish. We have tried blasting them after finishing for a stainless look and it never looks right. "

This is somewhat discouraging and makes me feel like any custom work I'd want done of this type would requires sanding the slide down far enough to affect the fit to the frame. This particular pistol's extractor is also sticking out from the slide butt a little bit and fixing that would also require digging into the finish.

I would really appreciate any experience from anyone who has worked on DW Duty Treat or had theirs worked on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Dan Wesson duty treatment is very durable, albeit a little sensitive to different cleaning products. I wouldn't get the DT if you're planning on doing a lot of gunsmith mods, the extractor could be refit and blued in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Being limited to 1-2 lubricants, and the fear of using the wrong one, led me to sell my DT pistol. The finish was very durable and after several thousand rounds the pistol still looked new. My stainless DW will not be sold. You are right, any finish work will affect the fit, negatively. There is a guncrafter thread about this. DLC is less susceptible to the clouding and would be a better choice to make a slide black. Polishing down the back end of the extractor to blend it would not affect anything negatively so that would not bother me. Keith is great to work with.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,469 Posts
I have a stainless VBob in 9mm I'm on the road at the moment but I'll add a little more inWhen I get back to the shop about The duty treat finish

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,469 Posts
So duty treat cannot be removed to bare stainless other than removing a considerable amount of actual metal. It it also extremely hard on tooling. While it can be machined after the outer layer is removed the only choice for finishes that I'm aware of is Back to duty treat or DLC. Many of us Smiths question the metallurgy of the pistol due the the high heat required for nitride finished especially if doing a second tube as a refinish..
my suggestion maybe find a Cmdr stainless and add the bobtail if that's the desired look and feel you must have..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks so much for all the intel guys. I have to decide if I want to proceed with this purchase at all now. I owned the older model V-bob and MAN do I regret letting that go. I sold it to finance an STI, a move I sorely regretted.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
833 Posts
Which cleaners and lube again are safe for DT finish? I thought it was FP-10 and the polymer safer cleaners?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts