1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I am seriously thinking about another Phineas C. Zoid build - "SONOFAZOID"

My first series of random thoughts / questions:

I used a stainless frame to put under a vintage blued steel slide for my first build. As expected, I needed to do a little fitting on the frame to get it to fit the slide. Because the frame was stainless, I am guessing that taking material off of the rails was some degree more difficult than if it were carbon steel or aluminum, but I'm not sure on the carbon steel. The primary reason I chose stainless is because I wouldn't have needed to finish it beyond media blasting.

So . . . .

Q1a: How much easier would it have been to work with carbon steel?
Q1b: How much easier would it have been to work with aluminum?

Knowing the answer to Q1b, I have a follow up question on aluminum frames.

Q2: Should an aluminum frame get some type of finish, or is it fine to leave it with a media blast finish?

Build #2 will most likely be a bobtail. Your thoughts?

Z

·
Custom Pistolsmith
3,467 Posts
Having built all three, I would highly recommend doing some sort of treatment to an aluminum frame. I personally prefer Robar's NP3 coating. You can get it in any color you want as long as it is matte gray. It is harder than anodizing, has a lifetime warranty and looks rather nice. If you are going to do an aluminum frame I'd also highly recommend having accu-rails done by Doug Jones. This will not only make the gun feel like butter, but will also increase the longevity of the frame if you intend on shooting it on a regular basis.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having built all three, I would highly recommend doing some sort of treatment to an aluminum frame. I personally prefer Robar's NP3 coating. You can get it in any color you want as long as it is matte gray. It is harder than anodizing, has a lifetime warranty and looks rather nice. If you are going to do an aluminum frame I'd also highly recommend having accu-rails done by Doug Jones. This will not only make the gun feel like butter, but will also increase the longevity of the frame if you intend on shooting it on a regular basis.
Good to know, thanks Joe.

Unfortunately, I don't get out to shoot anything I own regularly. My biggest concern with aluminum would probably be that it might be TOO easy to remove material when fitting the slide. Once removed, it can only be "unremoved" at great effort and cost. Durability would be my second concern.

I like the thought of the weight reduction, but 95% of any work will need to be done "in house" by myself for budgetary and educational reasons.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This brings me to my second preponderance:

Having once studied to become a chemical engineer, the concept of galvanic action in the presence of dissimilar metals comes to mind.

Q3: Has anyone run into or heard of any guns exhibiting preferential or sacrificial corrosion occuring when a dissimilar metal slide is used?

I know this is a question I should have investigated before build one, but doing the due diligence before build two seems prudent. I am hoping a carbon steel slide over a stainless frame isn't a cause for concern.

Any metallurgists or plumbers out there with an opinion?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Considering we have had dissimilar slide/frame pistols for many years, I would have expected any corrosion issues would have come to light long ago.

I am very interested to hear everybody's input on this one.

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not a gunsmith, but do work with dissimilar metals/alloys. I wouldn't worry about galling aluminum, especially if you're going to coat post build(I wouldn't consider aluminum for a build if you didn't plan on anodizing or NP3 afterwards). I'd have zero concerns if you use a good grease.
I was intrigued by the thought of going lighter weight and using aluminum, but I think I will stick with a stainless frame. I was comfortable working with that the first time.

I just contacted JEM a few minutes ago to inquire about the frame. I'm doing something a little differently on SONOFAZOID . . . .

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,787 Posts
Titanium is super tough to work with, usually requiring diamond tooling or at the very least carbide with specialty coatings. We always used diamond though. I used to mill and turn nickel infused titanium material for bushings on mining equipment!! Talk about a bitch to machine, my god that stuff was hard to work with.

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, after giving it a lot of thought, I think I'll stay with stainless. I'm trying not to over complicate the build and to keep as much of the process "in-house" as possible.

I haven't received it yet, but here are a few "sneak-peeks" at the slide . . . . . .

·
TANSTAAFL
1,832 Posts
I used to mill and turn nickel infused titanium material for bushings on mining equipment!! Talk about a bitch to machine, my god that stuff was hard to work with.
But you can take comfort knowing that your work helped miners get their rocks off.

I'll be here all week folks and don't forget to tip your waitress...:grin:

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The slide is out for a little bit of spa treatment.

When it gets back, it will be sporting a Harrison U-Notch rear and Nighthawk gold bead front.

That slide just gave me a chubby........
Come on Zoid...progress pics. Been spending way too much time on gunbroker recently looking for a c&r colt. I'm with Bender on the slide ;)

·
14,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When do you think I should start the "Official Build Thread"?

At what point does one cross the "Point of Know Return" . . . . . .

Sweet. Your builds are going to cost me money. Talk about chubby inducing with those sight choices...
Buy a carbon steel frame, you know you want a RazorBurn rust blue... ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.