1911 Firearm Addicts banner
2021 - 2040 of 2107 Posts

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
This one is finally ready for a test-fire!
Now if only my darn back would co-operate and quiet down a bit....

Then adjust height of front sight, drill for the whiteball,
parkerize and Cerakote in a dark grey.

Came back to admire some more, that arrow pattern up top is just so clean .

·
Premium Member
28,438 Posts
I have been very closely examine your works through this forum and I have noticed some times engravings are shallow.
You mentioned there is zero compromise in terms of cosmetics or function on Sep 17, 2018.
That is why I asked whether shallow/uneven engravings are due to lightning or photo issue cause I would like to believe you won't let guns with cosmetic issue out the shop. However, after examining numerous examples of your work, I noticed that some times engravings are fuzzy and was curious it is due to light or angle.
Are you flipping serious here?

·
الواحد
1,197 Posts
Yes I am serious about my question.
In my mind, Chuck is the best 1911 smith out there. I respect him. That is why I asked whether shallow and uneven engravings are due to lightning or photo. I believe my questions are legitimate and answers that some of forum members gave are not.
That is near 10k dollar gun and the gunsmith stated zero compromise in terms of cosmetics or function.
However, I do see shallow and uneven engravings on couple of examples. Not just on slides but on right side of frame as well (Colt manufacturing Connecticut etc etc).
If engravings aren't important, what is the point of using Colt as a base gun? I don't understand.
If function is all that matters, why not just use striker fired plastic guns?
For a 10k gun, I would expect near perfect cosmetics and of course function and I do not believe Chuck would just let a poorly engraved gun out of his shop. That is like buying a nice new car with 1/3 of brand logo missing.
Join date and post count checks out

Typically he builds on customer supplied guns. So if you don’t like Colt’s engravings because Colt did an ugly job at the factory:
1. don’t send chuck that gun.
2. pay to have the roll marks fixed by an engraver. Or see if that is a service the gunsmith can arrange.
3. don’t comment your opinionated misunderstandings in a technical thread.

Maybe the customer doesn’t care about the roll marks or doesn’t want to pay for an engraver to fix them.

·
Premium Member
28,438 Posts
Yes I am serious about my question.
In my mind, Chuck is the best 1911 smith out there. I respect him. That is why I asked whether shallow and uneven engravings are due to lightning or photo. I believe my questions are legitimate and answers that some of forum members gave are not.
That is near 10k dollar gun and the gunsmith stated zero compromise in terms of cosmetics or function.
However, I do see shallow and uneven engravings on couple of examples. Not just on slides but on right side of frame as well (Colt manufacturing Connecticut etc etc).
If engravings aren't important, what is the point of using Colt as a base gun? I don't understand.
If function is all that matters, why not just use striker fired plastic guns?
For a 10k gun, I would expect near perfect cosmetics and of course function and I do not believe Chuck would just let a poorly engraved gun out of his shop. That is like buying a nice new car with 1/3 of brand logo missing.
Wow…….you’re clueless

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Colt didnt always get the Pony right (understatement I know) but nevertheless it always brings a smile to my face when I see it.

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
934 Posts
…and if the owner doesn’t love it, “I know a guy” in Alabama that certainly would. Lol.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Yawn..............

·
Dremel jockey
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,032 ·
kiz,
Not re-engraved. Pics were taken with a different angle/lighting.
With a customer supplied gun, 'perfecting' the roll marks in entirely up to them.
In the past I have had the pleasure of dealing with both Brian Powley and David Clevinger to address factory/original manufacturer roll mark shortcomings. In each case, they turned out perfect.

If 3 years ago I did state that my work was perfect, well either I lied or I mis-spoke.
NOTHING yet that I have experienced in life is perfect.

On another note, please do not contact me for a build in the future.
You will save me the time it would take for me to say NO.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
He can no longer reply to your thread. I took the liberty of removing his privileges to this thread.
Good call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Dremel jockey
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,037 ·
I figured I had better clarify what I said above:
"With a customer supplied gun, 'perfecting' the roll marks is entirely up to them."
I did not mean that the customer would need to get this done, but that they would need to decide if they wanted me to get this done for them.

·
Dremel jockey
4,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,039 ·

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Great article & makes points that I’ve heard from trusted sources for several years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: OneEyedTanker
2021 - 2040 of 2107 Posts