1911 Firearm Addicts banner
2041 - 2060 of 2092 Posts

·
الواحد
1,192 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Welp now I have to tell the wife we can only have Custom build 1911s now!
Let me know if that works and I’ll use it too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
926 Posts
Beautiful and deadly! What’s the color on that piece of artwork?

·
Dremel jockey
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,045 ·
^^^^
I dunno what it is, Jiyam.

It's a custom mix Cerakote over Manganese Phosphate.
Graphite Black, Stainless and Tungsten.
I've used this blend before, possibly my favorite.
Grey is an odd color......can be light or dark.
Can have elements of brown, blue or green.
I see this grey as having a blue aspect.

I'll post a pic along side some currency for color adjustment of
individual monitors.
Just gotta wait to get paid.......all I got is old ones and coinage right now.

·
Dremel jockey
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,046 ·
Sometimes feels like I've fallen into a bit of a 'rut',
in regards to design elements of my builds.
20 years ago I was doing some edgy stuff on a regular basis.
These days, the gun shown above is pretty representative of what I, and my customers, consider an
enhanced fighting gun. And that is by far my strongest interest.
No, it's not all Function over Form.
The golfballed top of the slide, the ball cuts on the slide, the French borders are just cosmetic only.

·
Vendor
3,084 Posts
Chuck, I don’t think anyone would say your builds are all function over form. It’s quite a good blend of both. Your style might not be for everyone but there is no mistaking if for anyone else’s. You own it. It is distinctly you.

There’s one thing I’ve always admired about your builds is how you take the time to straighten out the frame but it isn’t crisp or hard lines. Very subtitle rounding. Almost soft looking without removing the distinct 1911 frame lines and turning it into a bar of soap. It’s a detail maybe some folks might overlook or maybe I’m imagining it but it’s something I’ve noticed and like.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Chuck, I don’t think anyone would say your builds are all function over form. It’s quite a good blend of both. Your style might not be for everyone but there is no mistaking if for anyone else’s. You own it. It is distinctly you.

There’s one thing I’ve always admired about your builds is how you take the time to straighten out the frame but it isn’t crisp or hard lines. Very subtitle rounding. Almost soft looking without removing the distinct 1911 frame lines. It’s a detail maybe some folks might overlook or maybe I’m imagining it but it’s something I’ve noticed and like.
The frame line straightening is one of the first things that drew me to Chuck’s work. He and Bob Rodgers had a thread on 1911 Forums way back in the day outlining how they each approached it. Those old threads were a wealth of great info.

·
Registered
“Let me live the next few minutes well…”
926 Posts
I guess Carroll and Enzo sometimes felt like they were in a rut as well…

Reactions: OneEyedTanker

·
الواحد
1,192 Posts
Sometimes feels like I've fallen into a bit of a 'rut',
in regards to design elements of my builds.
20 years ago I was doing some edgy stuff on a regular basis.
These days, the gun shown above is pretty representative of what I, and my customers, consider an
enhanced fighting gun. And that is by far my strongest interest.
No, it's not all Function over Form.
The golfballed top of the slide, the ball cuts on the slide, the French borders are just cosmetic only.
I can understand the rut feeling and your builds may feel somewhat repetitive because you've done similar before (We never get tired of them). However I feel that is more of a compliment or a Signature if you will, Chuck.

You've created what could arguably be "The Custom 1911".

It obviously isn't getting old because you have years of a back log for people who want it. In some respect we can only go so far with the platform before it becomes "Too Much" or alien if you will. As an example I would buy 10 of your Norinco builds but you couldn't give my a Pistol Dynamics or Cabot (Nothing to do with the companies on a personal level). I for one believe you have blended contemporary/modern/functional and made the exceptional. Every builder has their style/design yours just happens to be Legendary.

While I'd like you to remain passionate and evolving it's also ok to take a breath when you reach the top of the mountain because that's where you belong.

·
Vendor
3,084 Posts
The frame line straightening is one of the first things that drew me to Chuck’s work. He and Bob Rodgers had a thread on 1911 Forums way back in the day outlining how they each approached it. Those old threads were a wealth of great info.
If you can find that thread post a link. I’d like to see how they do it compared to my own.

I brought up Chuck’s method and style because to me, something like that, something that a lot of people might not even notice, is the definition of putting emphasis on form. Everything he does to a pistol is masterfully done and that is the definition of form.

I mean, who else silver brazes in little pieces of metal to close the gap on the underside of a grip safety when it’s depressed? 🤣

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I would say Rolex is in the right kinda rut. They seem to be a bit successful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Good/Fast/Cheap
3,480 Posts
For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen a single one of your builds that even remotely made me think...”oh, he’s in a rut!”. Some are more enhanced than others, but all are undeniably your style and have your name attached, and are arguably the most sought after custom 1911’s for folks shopping in your price range!

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I’m gonna go out on a limb….I will still jump in line for a build. No questions asked. 😁
Heck...I'd jump in line AND offer to help work on it!....or at least sweep up around Chuck while he works on it so I can watch perfection in action!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Chuck your “rut” is some guys life’s ambition. Not to copy you exactly but to be able to build distinct, timeless tools that don’t “settle” for anything less than superb.

Not to make light of your getting tired of the same old builds.

Maybe take a break from the book of customers and just build a wild and crazy gun with all the fixens you got floating around and auction it off.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
Chuck,
I know very much of your work, but I don't know all of it. So I have a question (or 2) for you.
Have you ever done golf ball serrations on a slide? If so, do they work? If not, would you?
Thanks for taking time to read...... and answer, if you do.

2041 - 2060 of 2092 Posts