Range Report 1/27/19

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Batty, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I took my new Kimber Aegis Elite Pro out this past Sunday and put about 150 rounds down range. First time shooting this gun. We were shooting steel. First 100 rounds were factory Winchester. I shot about 10 yards out.

With the Winchester ammo, I experienced several failures to completely make it back into battery. The loads were also hotter than I am used to (I have been shooting .45 reloads). But the accuracy was pretty good (any failure to hit was shooter failure).

Second round of ammo were reloads, approx 50 rounds. It was a reload my husband did for his Glock 21 and whoa daddy did I get a ton of failures to return to battery. I had a couple where I couldn't get it back into battery at all, the slide was jammed and I had to have my husband pull the slide back for me. He thinks the rounds were slightly too long for my gun, but also, these were not your normal hardball type ammo that I understand the 1911 likes so much, these had little divots in the middle of the bullets and were more cone-shaped (I do not know the technical term, sorry!). It got to be a joke: shoot, check for battery, whack the back of the slide, shoot [​IMG] It wasn't all bad, though. Some rounds just did their thing like they were supposed to. But at that point I was just anticipating another failure. It could be my grip, but I was also shooting my husband’s old Rock Island 1911 and that old beast performed flawlessly.

One of the things husband and I both noticed was that the Kimber has a tendency to hitch badly about the last 1/8th of the slide travel, where the slide and barrel lock together (if that makes sense?), when we racked it, especially at first when we had just gotten it. I spent a lot of time just racking the slide and after shooting, this hitch wasn't as bad, but is still there a bit. I think it's just from the tight tolerances that these pistols are built to and we need to just keep wearing her in.

I may also need to switch to slim grips due to my smaller hands, but we’ll see how it goes this weekend.

xerts1191, GIJoke and PewPewPtwang like this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Kimbers do require about 500 rounds to be properly broken in. I strongly recommend sticking to quality factory ammo during break in.

I will say that my Kimber Aegis Elite Custom did have some minor failure to feed problems during my first 500 rounds, but it wasn't as bad as you're experiencing.

Try to get through 500 rounds using factory ammo. If you're still having trouble, send it back to Kimber for warranty repair.

1911 dawg, GIJoke and Batty like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Try the slim grips. However, you may find that a short trigger with standard thickness grips works better.

I have small hands. My experience with slim grips is that it places my trigger finger too close to the frame, making it hard to consistently pull the trigger straight back.

If you find yourself shooting left with thin grips, try going back to regular grips with a short trigger.

Everybody's hands are different. So, what works for me may not work for you.

TxTrail80, GIJoke and InstiGator like this.
  4. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Yeah, I’m sticking with factory after this. We just had that ammo with us and wanted to keep shooting, you know how it is ;)

Old Sea Dragon and limbkiller like this.
  5. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Nice range report. Hope the problems work out for you around 500 rounds. Excellent advice given above

6. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    +1. I also have small hands, and I'm a huge fan of a short trigger with standard grips. I don't like thin grips at all.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  7. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Replacing a trigger is more involved than replacing grips so grips is where I’ll start and go from there. Thanks for the advice :)

8. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I only used Federal American Eagle 124 FMJ & 115 Syntech through mine (9mm of course) but never had feed or eject issues after getting the mag. springs set. IMG_2149 (2).jpg

9. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Collector may be onto something. Load your mags and let them sit for a week. The extra spring pressure may be pushing the ammo up too hard slowing cycling. Letting the mags set for a week alleviates this issue. Keep the pistol lubed well until broken in.
    Try some Federal American Eagle. It runs flawless in all my .45's.

10. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I was having a significant amount of these ftrb's in a DW and I ended up tracing it down to the extractor having too much tension. As the slide returned to battery the extractor was cocking the fresh cartridge off center and it was riding the sidewall

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted