Range Report 2/2/19

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Batty, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    [​IMG]
    Dirty Girl

Another day at the range with my Aegis. 10 yards, shooting steel. Ammo: Winchester white box. I put approximately 150 rounds down range, which brings her to a total of 300 rounds through so far.

It was a better day than last weekend. I only had 3 failures to go into battery, and one weird failure where the round wasn’t caught by the extractor and was just floating in the barrel. Not sure what happened there.

I am consistently shooting to the left (right handed shooter), and when I hit the target I consistently hit it to the left. I will have a bunch in row where I hit the target, then a bunch where I am not hitting the target...all to the left, from about 7 o’clock to 11 o’clock. Nothing to the right, nothing over the target, nothing lower than 7 o’clock.

I’m thinking some of this is too little trigger. I’m still having trouble with my grip, I’m not getting a lot of finger on the trigger, but keeping my thumb from riding the safety helped. I am going to switch to thin grips and see where that takes me, and go from there. If I need a shorter trigger, that's where I'll go after switching the grips. I am getting more used to this pistol, and I definitely like it.

The day was gorgeous, in the upper 50s, sunny, light breeze. Couldn’t have asked for better weather. Enjoyed myself for sure [​IMG]

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Yup, that's why you're shooting left. The bad ergonomics is making it hard for you to pull straight back. I have the same problem when I use a long trigger.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Check your extractor tension. It's probably too loose.

4. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Thats what I am figuring, too. I'm going to try thin grips (already ordered them and new bushings) and if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to change out the trigger. Work in progress...

5. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I just redid this test using your video and the round isn't wobbly and is in there solid so I don't think the extractor is too loose.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    And thank you for all the suggestions, I appreciate it :)

7. DanMcinPA

DanMcinPA Active Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Another suggestion to address leftwards shots: mix in a few snap caps in several magazines the night before. When you shoot you will quickly spot a flinch when you pull the trigger and see the gun move without recoil.

It will also prove that you’re not flinching when the sights stay steady after trigger pull and no bang. You can also use that moment to practice FTF clearing.

tac45 and PewPewPtwang like this.
  8. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    So, how do you get rid of a flinch? I've used the snap caps to show when I do and don't flinch.

I do not flinch, ever, dry firing. I don't usually flinch shooting my .38 revolver. I do flinch when I shoot the 1911. Why can't this be easy? :D

DanMcinPA likes this.
  9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Focus on front sight while steadily increasing pressure on trigger. Don't try to control when the gun fires. Control the rate you increase trigger pressure. Let the break surprise you.

Lots of dry fire practice. Memorise how it feels to grip the gun and pull the trigger correctly.

Improve hand and wrist strength to reduce perceived recoil.

Add additional layer of hearing protection to reduce perceived recoil.

DanMcinPA likes this.
  10. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I did add a second layer of hearing protection yesterday and it was helpful. Big booms can be scary :p I can't imagine hearing a .45 without muffs on, it's gotta be deafening.

Good suggestions, all of these. Thank you.

11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    A few things , have a short trigger installed along with an action job
    To address hammer and sear engagement , stone trigger track ,and have sear spring adjusted .
    Run the gun wet for a couple of hundred rds without cleaning, then detail strip and clean . This process smooths the action .
    Make sure the pistol is unloaded and practice dry fireing placeing a dot on the wall and holding the muzzle and ft sight an inch or two
    From your wall , you will lurn quickly how much your moving around .practice not moving the muzzle as you break the trigger.
    Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

PewPewPtwang likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted