Range Report 2/24/19

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Batty, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Took the little Browning 1911-22 out yesterday, as well as my Kimber .45, shooting painted steel.

Shooting the .22, I was not shooting to the left at all and my groups were tight. The little gun is a joy to shoot. I did have three failure to battery and one stovepipe, but that was it. I put around 150 rounds down range. The pistol is fun to shoot and very accurate.

I was alternating between my .45 and the .22. I am thinking the recoil is too much for me with the .45 because once I'd alternate, my first two shots with the .45 would be centered but then things would deteriorate and I'd be shooting left again, and anticipating recoil. I'm not sure what to do with this. I dry fire all the time and I never flinch, but once I am actually dealing with .45 recoil I am back to flinching and going left. My new short trigger did help at least, I am not going anywhere nearly as far left as I was before switching it out, but still going left of center, especially as I get tired.

I'm going to keep practicing like this, alternating between the two calibers. The .22 helped my confidence a lot because it showed me that I can actually get good groupings and have them centered. The .45 is a lot of gun to shoot. The weird thing is that I shot my husband's full size RIA 1911 before we got the Kimber and I was fine with it. Yes, I did go to the left, but it was a fun shoot for me and I enjoyed it. The Kimber is a pro size, which means it's slightly smaller (but weighs the same), and it's not as fun to me to shoot. I do enjoy it, but I feel like it gets away from me. I don't feel that way with hubby's 1911.

2. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    45 isn’t for everyone and the 4” slide makes it worse even. I think you should look into a 9mm 1911 personally. I think you would really enjoy it the recoil is very mild.

PewPewPtwang likes this.

3. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Anticipating recoil, flinching, will generally place shots low or low-left. Grouping to the left for a right-hander often means not enough finger on the trigger. I believe the Browning .22 has a fairly short trigger reach. Do you have a long trigger on your Kimber? Changing it might help. Worth a thought, at least.

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Generally speaking, shortening the barrel and slide of a semiauto pistol moves the center of mass of the gun rearward. Slide mass is also (typically) reduced, causing the gun to cycle a little faster. All of this adds up to a snappier feeling pistol.

Batty likes this.
  5. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I already switched it to a short trigger and it helped, but I know I am flinching because I use snap caps and flinch like crazy and also drive the gun down to the left.

6. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Snappier it is. Also, I am using factory ammo in it for the "break in", and I just remembered we were using lighter reloads in hubby's 1911. Those loads don't work in the Kimber, picky ammo witch that she is. We're going to have to figure out a load for her that works but also that I like more than what I am currently using.

I'm determined to shoot my .45 accurately. I won't ever carry that beasty, but she will be good for the range. As my husband says, "The pretty ones always cause more problems." ;) (as he stares at me)

7. WaltherWhite

WaltherWhite Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Try double plugging earmuffs. Change ammo for heavier projectile at slower speed. Recoil happens over a longer time span. So perceived recoil is less.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I shoot mainly 9mm and 38 Superb with my 1911's. They can make me a bit lazy when I shoot the .45. If I don't get my grip right, it shows on my target. Make sure you are getting a good grip on the .45.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted