Range Report 2/9/19

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Batty, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Took the Kimber out today after replacing the grips with thin grips. Still shooting to the left, but working on it. Only two failures to go into battery today, otherwise the pistol was perfect, and I was shooting crappy steel cased Russian ammo for the majority, then Blazer ammo. 8” targets.

I need to work on strength training: this gun is all stainless, and heavy, and after like 50 rounds I am starting to feel it in my shoulders and wrists. I think I’m pushing too hard with my strong (right) hand..when my husband had me loosen up my death grip on the right and tighten up my left hand, I think I did a little better. By the end, I was dead tired, and flinching because there was a guy shooting a cannon .357 revolver next to me and I was anticipating his shots, plus I had put the target farther out and things just fell apart. I really would prefer to shoot outdoors, but it was cold this morning and indoors was where we went. It was good though, to see it on an actual target instead of steel like I’ve been doing.

Second target up, this is where I loosened my death grip on my right hand and tightened up my left a bit. Out about 5 yards here.
    90ABD2A9-1C7C-4FF6-8DC8-19A534F0A3BA.jpeg

Here I had put the target out to about 7 yards here and I was tired and the cannon next to me was making me flinch every time it went off.
    View attachment 218783

First target out, 5 yards or so. I was death gripping with my right hand.
    0780B5D7-756A-42DB-9615-DA4AD78C67A6.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    xerts1191, WWB, khend1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    On the plus side, I wasn’t flinching as much thanks to all my dry firing, and paying attention to my trigger, so that was a yay.

limbkiller likes this.

3. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Does the rear sight need to be drifted a bit to the right?

WC145 likes this.
  4. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    That’s the next thing we’re going to check, didn’t think of it today when we were at the range, but I’ll have the hubby shoot and see if it’s still shooting left. If not, we’ll know for sure it’s me. If so, maybe they do need to be drifted over. I might have to go to the range again tomorrow to check. Bummer ;)

41 Charlie and CENTURIATOR like this.
  5. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Keep at it Batty! You will get there! A heavy gun helps mitigate recoil. Dry fire when you can. Be determined that NO gun is gonna get the best of you. Buy some dummy rounds and have your husband mix them in with your ammo. A sure way to know if you are flinching! Keep us posted!

PewPewPtwang, 41 Charlie and Batty like this.
  6. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    That’s the best plan, have your husband shoot it. If he’s shooting to the left too, drift the rear sight. I tend to push my shots to the left. I’ve let good friends shoot, and their dead on. So I know it’s me pushing my shots. Keep up the dry firing. That’s always great for trigger control.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  7. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Shoot, or have someone of known ability, shoot it from bench or rest.

Your photos indicate "anticipating recoil" (flinching) for a right hand shooter.

PewPewPtwang likes this.
  8. Batty

Batty Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    That’s the plan for today :)

gaijin, limbkiller and CENTURIATOR like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted