Range Report 500 Yards with a snub!

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Earlsbud, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    They said it couldn't be done. They called me insane. Some said, "Why?" I said, "Why not?"
    That's the kind of pioneering, push the outside of the envelope attitude that drives the shooting sports to new levels. Levels undreamed of by those that came before us.
    [​IMG]

I set out to prove once and for all that a .38 Special snub nose could hit a standard NRA high power rifle target at 500 yards, 5 out of 5 rounds fired.
    [​IMG]

To ad to the experiment, I agreed to fire weak hand with 148 grain hollow base wad cutters but to ad even more difficulty, loaded upside down.

[​IMG]

It was just after dawn and a cool breeze was blowing straight at me as I closed the cylinder and prepared to fire. My assistant and long time shooting colleague, Delmer "Stumpy" Gwinks was on the spotting scope.
    [​IMG]
    I elevated the sight slowly until the target was no longer visible and broke the first shot. Time slowed down, I could hear my heart beating as I waited for what seemed like an eternity.
    [​IMG]
    Then it came, Stumpy's course gruff whiskey voice, "Hit!" I asked, "Are you sure Stumpy? Did you say hit?" Then he replied, "No, I said schidt! I forgot to remove the lens cap and fell asleep. I didn't have my ears on either you IJIT, now I'm deef!" After we rolled around on the concrete pad beating the hell out of each other, I managed to get a choke hold on Stumpy until he passed out. By then I was disgusted, spent, and had two loose teeth. I peered through the spotting scope with a swollen eye and saw the target below.

[​IMG]

CRAP! Okay, but I still intend to prove it can be done. Someday.

2. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    :rofl2: :rofl2: :pound:

3. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Lol. Fun write up.

Ive actually tried shooting at a 500 steel target with my 5" S&W .357 mag. I amined like 8 feet high and it still ran out of gas and saw the bullet hit the dirt way in front of the target.

4. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Hillariuos man. :der::rofl2:

5. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Had me going for a second there! :lol:

Andy

6. butcher 50

butcher 50 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Ha Ha! I enjoyed that one. :animlol:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted