Range time with my Fusion and DW CCO...

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by zipper046, Dec 2, 2018.

1. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    So...I installed an adjustable rear sight on my Fusion Firearms Pro-Series Railed Gov't "Black Out" and took it to the range along with my DW CCO.

The Fusion Pro-Series: smooth, ACCURATE, trigger is between 3.25 - 3.5lbs (came at about 4lbs, so I "tweaked" it a bit to drop it), Grippy!...it has like 30Lpi on the front strap and G-10 shredder type grips, and a Fiber Optic front. I installed the ambi-safety as I'm a lefty....

The DW CCO: ACCURATE, decent trigger, semi-smooth. I didn't like the scallops on the front strap - not grippy enough, so I added some grip tape...all good now! I also had an issue where the slide would periodically stop at it's furthest rearward point and not release and feed a new round. At first I thought I was hitting the slide stop with my trigger finger knuckle (I'm lefty), but I looked when it occurred and the slide stop notch was PAST the slide stop. I had to smack the rear of the slide with the palm of my hand and that released the slide and fed a new round.

After slowing racking the slide, I can feel a small "hitch" right at the end of the recoil cycle that feels like a small burr either on the rails or in the slide. I shot the heck out of it and it smoothed up a bit and the problem seemed to go away....next step is some lapping compound and I should be all set...or keep shooting he snot outta it! I also felt the slide reciprocating more than I did on the Fusion. So I'll swap out the recoil spring too and clean up the trigger a bit.

Here are both "dirty girls":
    Dirty girls.JPG

Here is the Fusion Pro-Series:
    Fusion.JPG

Here is the Fusion target - 20 rounds at 18 yards off an older, shaky, rest, LOL.
    Fusion 18yds.JPG

Here is the DW CCO:
    DW CCO.JPG

Here is the DW CCO target - 16 rounds at 10 yards off an older, shaky, rest, LOL.
    DW 10yds.JPG

Overall, I'm quite pleased with these 2. I still carry a G19 or G26 off-duty, but I think I may change it up a bit and carry the CCO.

Z-

2. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Very nice shooting and great guns. My CCO has been flawless thru around 1200 rounds. I trust it with my life. Excellent carry weapon imo

3. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Calibers?

I saw some Fusion pistols in the flesh for the first time on Black Friday when they came for a demonstration at the local range. Really nice pistols. Can't imagine buying SA or Kimber instead of one.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Great shooting, but I would expect that CCO to be a bit snappier then the full 5" for sure. If DW is not through the break in point yet, clean and shoot as specified and I am sure that hang up will go away. I wouldn't add any lapping compound anywhere, that stuff embeds in the metal and continues to wear the surface it never really comes completely out. Use JB bore cleaning compound same results and non embedding... You have to figure with the longer frame and shorter grip that thing is always going to be a bit snappier than that FS.

5. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Both .45acp....ammo was plain ole American Eagle 230gr ball...

6. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    @Steve Owens....YUP! CCO was definitely snappier....but not bad at all. I agree about the lapping compound...I picked it up in a trade and it was "slightly used", so I'm thinking it hasn't been fully broken in yet...it did seem to get better as I shot more. I think with the aluminum frame, just shooting the snot out of it will clean it up nicely, LOL.

Kip and Steve Owens like this.
  7. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks all...but the targets were off rests to gauge accuracy....freestyle my groups at 18 yards were slightly larger.... ;-)

Z-

8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Well let's see em how much is slightly? LOL not trying to put you on the spot or nothing haha

Kip likes this.
  9. MSGT2511

MSGT2511 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    That Fusion looks VAGUELY familiar.....glad it's working well for you! Good luck with the CCO, and hey, why not carry that Fusion!!

10. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Is the ejector on the CCO loose? Could be what is binding the slide.

11. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Hmmm...didn't check that @deadguy...will check that out later tonight. Thanks!

deadguy likes this.
  12. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Hooyah MSGT! It's a beast! I've been running the snot out of an STI Trojan I have that is accurate as all get out...and I don't mind beating up on during competition.

I've been slow to run the Fusion in competition....well...cause it's just so darn nice! LOL. But Now that I got the weight down to Single Stack Division standards, I plan on running it a bit. The thing just SOAKS UP recoil and is one of the most accurate guns I have. My first 5 rounds today at 12 yards were slightly under 1" with 3 of them touching!! (from a pistol rest, of course).

Kip likes this.
  13. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Yeah,Zip's not that far away...
    Might need a whole new bag of excuses.
    "It was during a tornado....,it was dark..."
    ain't gonna fly with him standing next to me!!! :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

Steve Owens likes this.
  14. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    Well...here are 2 targets I shot a while back when I first got the CCO (today was only my 2nd or 3rd time running it, as I usually carry my G19 or G26)....

Oh...and it was dark and I was in a tornado...Hahahahahaha! (actually just had a good day...although I have more rough days than good one's lately, LOL)

1st 21 rounds...slow fire at 10 yards:
    1st 21 rounds.JPG

Mag dump at 7 yards:
    View attachment 184909

nnylf7, Steve Owens and Kip like this.
  15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Very nice sir, heck I would of posted these instead of the other lol. Great shooting..Besides I was just bustin your balls... ;) :p

Kip likes this.
  16. zipper046

Dec 28, 2013
    all good bro! My balls been busted too many times...ain't nuttin' left! LOL (see what I did there ;-)

17. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Well I don't think I'd want to get in a gunfight with ya in a dark alley.. Unless of course your unarmed lmbo...

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted