Range time with my Ultra Eclipse II

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Gress, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    My first range time with this Eclipse was quite useful. I’ve learned a few things about this new to me 10 y.o. pistol with supposedly 500 rounds through by previous owner. The gun is in a very good shape. It looks like it indeed have had few hundreds through only, although difficult to say for sure. Slide to frame exhibits no vertical play and a small bit (and you do need to push hard to feel it) of side to side play, which I think is not a bad thing for this type of gun. I did not replace the recoil springs yet although I have ordered the assy from Kimber.
    Today I shot total of 272 rounds through the gun. Here is the split in the order I shot them:
    50 PMC 230gr FMJ
    50 WWB
    50 Speer Lawman 230gr TMJ
    100 of my 230gr FMJ reloads
    2 Hornady Critical Defense 185gr FTX
    20 Winchester Super-x 185gr SilverTip HP

Reliability. I had one FTE shooting my second load of PMC with OEM 7 round mag. The FTE happened on the last round. At this point I decided to switch over to my new Wilson 470 7-rnd mag. The problem went away and never came back.
    With Wilson mag the gun shot all the different ball ammo no issues and I am sure it liked my reloads the best :smile: On second half of my reloads I was alternating shooting 7 rounds from the mag, then 8 rounds total (1 loaded + 7 in the mag) etc. The gun did not have any issues with 7 or 8 shots.
    Now, you might be wondering why I only shot 2 rounds of Hornady. Here is why. I was getting consistent FTFeed after every shot. Both jammed rounds were nose up slightly tilted. After two failures I decided to stop wasting this ammo and switched over to Winchester super-x. These were going through with no issues whatsoever. Could it be the bullet tip of Hornady FTXs causing the issue? Or is it my old recoil springs (I hope)? I do not know. What I know is that this same Hornady FTXs were fine for 80 rounds split 50/50 between my Baer TRS and Guncrafter Model 1 (with .45 barrel conversion obviously). Next time I will replace my recoil springs and give it another try.

Accuracy. The gun shoots pretty accurately (in my hands anyway) for a 3” barrel.
    Here is 30 rnds of my reloads (7+8+7+8) at 7+ yards.

[​IMG]

I did not like the lighting at the range I went to today as it was difficult to get the center of the target on (see couple of shots there), so I decided to use the lower edge instead to see where the gun shoots. It seems to me that the sights are set properly and the gun is adequate for a defensive shooting.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Great little gun, have fun...

3. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Nice work. How was the recoil?

4. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    What recoil? :lol: It was fine. I am not too sensitive to recoil anyway. Will give it a try with +p next time. The thing is I want it to be reliable or it will have to go. We will see....

5. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    If it goes south, take a look at the S&W PRO.........

tw

6. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    you shoot yours much better than I shoot mine..these days I am lucky if I can burn ammo once every couple of months..

7. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Yep getting tougher for me too. More time needs to be allocated for reloading as I shoot .50gi mostly these days. Yesterday Wally helped out with bulk remington .45 so I jumped on it. Will continue my effort evaluating and making this Ultra reliable.

8. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    OK, another range session today and I am happy :smile: After recoil assy replaced and polishing done for the ramp and the breech face
    [​IMG]
    the gun was flawless. It ate total of 238 rounds today:
    100 rounds of WWB,
    50 rounds of Remington 230gr MC,
    50 of my own 230gr RN reloads,
    18 rounds left in the box from last time of Hornady's Critical Defense 185gr FTX
    20 rounds of Win bonded 230gr JHP
    - with no problems whatsoever. Still using Wilson mags only.

Here is couple of pics. First is a Win 230gr JHP prints and the second is my best group today with my reloads at 10 yards :smile:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Anybody is using a 21 lbs spring in a 3"? Just thinking...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  10. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Back from my .50GI affair to testing my Eclipse:smile: (My Guncrafter still made into my range bag today and manage to shoot too :lol: in .45acp though)
    Now to my 3" Eclipse. Shot it today with .21lb spring assembly installed. Those are visibly longer springs comparing to my 18lb ones.
    [​IMG]
    Bad news/good news..
    Bad news is that it gave me consistent FTE with +p ammo. I only had Hornady +p 230gr XTP today, otherwise I would try a few different ones. FTEs happened on the last round in the mag.
    Good news is that the gun was free of any problems shooting standard ball ammo (WWB and UMC 230gr). I shot 100 with 21lb springs and then switched to standard 18lb springs for another 150. No issues.
    So how would you guys explain the +p FTE issues?
    My thinking is that it's probably my extractor not holding the case in place, as with the faster slide cycling with +p ammo the mag did not have enough time to move the follower up to support the empty case which perhaps was too low for ejecting. Also as having a round in the mag did make a difference vs an empty mag, I think that two things helped:
    1. the round in the mag was able to support the empty case a bit higher than the empty mag follower would and
    2. due to mag's spring compressed more, next round moved up sooner and on-time for supporting the empty case from bellow for it to be ejected.
    But that's assuming my extractor tension issue. Also, shooting standard ammo I did not get any issues with 18lb springs, although the slide cycle is shorter with 18lb vs. 21lb springs or is it? Any other causes you might think of?

11. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    I want it to be 100% reliable with all kind of ammo. This is good gun to shoot. All steel, heavy and not much recoil. The accuracy is not on par with 5" (in my hands anyway), but I am fine with what I am getting out of it.
    [​IMG]

12. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Way to go Gress....

13. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Another trip yesterday. I adjusted the extractor tension and now it is shooting both +P and standard pressure ammo. I still got one FTE on the last round of Hornady +P 230gr XTP. Happened once out of 20 rounds and no problems whatsoever with a standard Federal 230gr ball (100 rounds shot). The left and upper targets are Hornady HP (as you can see by the holes) and the right hand side one is Federal RN. I adjusted the extractor tension a bit more now and will try again.
    [​IMG]

These targets are all Federal ball ammo. 7+ yards. I am loving the little gun more and more.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  14. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Congratulations Sir ! :applouse:

If Kimber was smart,they would hire someone motivated like you to head their quality control department!

I admire your perseverance. :thumb:

You took the time to rationalize the issue and asked the right questions to be able to problem solve the issue.

If THEY took the time while building 57K plus guns to institute a QC program to insure the pistol worked right BEFORE it left the factory,people like ME wouldn't Bitch about problems they had with their guns!

DAT85

15. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  16. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks DAT. I just want to make the gun reliable or it will have to go. Seems like I am making some progress. I doubt that Kimber would be able to pay me enough :lol: although, if you would be buying, they might be able to :smile:

17. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Another range session after I adjusted the extractor tension to 2 lb of downforce on the case. No failures. She is Happy with the standard pressure ball and few +P I had on hand.
    [​IMG]

18. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    The gun is shooting fine now. +P was no issue today, However as many have suggested I decided to stay away from +P on this short barreled one mostly due to a need for a stronger recoil spring set and more recoil in general. All in all I consider it reliable as I shot few hundreds of rounds through the gun with no hiccups. It is going bang all the time.:smile:
    [​IMG]

19. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Now with round butt, alumagrips and her big sis Gifty :smile:
    [​IMG]

It's reliable and accurate enough for a 3". Honestly, Gifty helps her to make groups tighter though :lol:

20. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    nice.. got some better shots of the rounding? did you do the work yourself?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted