1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, but have collecting for about 25 years. For some reason, I have always had a soft spot for Llama pistols. I have 2 in my collection that I can't find too much info about. I have had these for a number of years. First one is a chrome .22 llama from the 70's with engraving. It also has the original chrome magazine. The second one is a Minimax from 1998 in 38 super. From what I can tell this is one of 200 made in that caliber. Does anyone have any other info on these?

Attachments

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
There is a member they call Zoid that has a soft spot for OLD rare Llama pistolas . . . . .

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
527 Posts
I also must confess my Llama addiction. When I was very young, my Dad had a .22 llama that fit my hand perfectly. Loved that little gun. When he passed I looked everywhere for it, my brother and I have no idea what became of it. I look at gun broker occasionally.....

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
A little more information on your engraved gun. It appears to be a Llama XVI. It is a second tier variation / upgrade from the Llama III-A. It is functionally identical to the Llama III-A except for caliber. Here are a few excerpts from a notable Llama web page.

Llama III-A
Manufactured from 1954 to 1997. Self-loading pistol, blowback operation (earlier models up to about 1975: locked breech), miniature copy of Colt 1911 in 9 mm corto/.380 ACP with seven-round magazine and with grip safety. Also fitted with longer manual safety lever. Early models fitted with lanyard ring; later models replaced this with a ventilated rib and plastic target grips. Luxury finishes (including gold plating) and various engraving options were available. One of the most successful models in the Llama range.

Llama XV "Especial"
Manufactured from 1954 to 1997. Self-loading pistol, blowback operation, miniature copy of Colt 1911 in .22 LR with grip safety. Identical to Llama III-A except for calibre.

Llama XVI
Manufactured from 1954 to 1997. Self-loading pistol, blowback operation, miniature copy of Colt 1911 in .22 LR with grip safety. Identical to Llama XV except for luxury finish (including gold plating) and various engraving options.

Your second gun looks like Llama Minimax-II. I know that the Llama brand has been crafting .38 Super guns out of the Philippines the past few years. The original manufacturer, Gabilondo y Cia. Vitoria went bankrupt in 1992. Being a 1998 production gun, it falls into the production of some new owner that I haven't spent the time to research. There were many changes of hands between 1992 and 1998 when the original succession of Spanish owners went under.

Obviously the Llama name has been recently sold off and production out of the Philippines has "resurrected" the brand, although the newer guns I have seen have all been .38 Super and fall into the 1911 clone design.

Hope this helps.

·
Wrinkled Member
1,023 Posts
Anyone remember the Llama Omni?

I don't know how many (if any) were produced. I wanted one way back when. I now suspect the design was a failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little more information on your engraved gun. It appears to be a Llama XVI. It is a second tier variation / upgrade from the Llama III-A. It is functionally identical to the Llama III-A except for caliber. Here are a few excerpts from a notable Llama web page.

Llama III-A
Manufactured from 1954 to 1997. Self-loading pistol, blowback operation (earlier models up to about 1975: locked breech), miniature copy of Colt 1911 in 9 mm corto/.380 ACP with seven-round magazine and with grip safety. Also fitted with longer manual safety lever. Early models fitted with lanyard ring; later models replaced this with a ventilated rib and plastic target grips. Luxury finishes (including gold plating) and various engraving options were available. One of the most successful models in the Llama range.

Llama XV "Especial"
Manufactured from 1954 to 1997. Self-loading pistol, blowback operation, miniature copy of Colt 1911 in .22 LR with grip safety. Identical to Llama III-A except for calibre.

Llama XVI
Manufactured from 1954 to 1997. Self-loading pistol, blowback operation, miniature copy of Colt 1911 in .22 LR with grip safety. Identical to Llama XV except for luxury finish (including gold plating) and various engraving options.

Your second gun looks like Llama Minimax-II. I know that the Llama brand has been crafting .38 Super guns out of the Philippines the past few years. The original manufacturer, Gabilondo y Cia. Vitoria went bankrupt in 1992. Being a 1998 production gun, it falls into the production of some new owner that I haven't spent the time to research. There were many changes of hands between 1992 and 1998 when the original succession of Spanish owners went under.

Obviously the Llama name has been recently sold off and production out of the Philippines has "resurrected" the brand, although the newer guns I have seen have all been .38 Super and fall into the 1911 clone design.

Hope this helps.
Hi sir! I recently found a Llama pistol from my great grandfather and I cant seem to find any information about it. It's looks like a Llama III but the marking on the right side says R with the serial 118XXX.

I checked the website with the most comprehensive and detailed information about Llama's production through the years and there is no info about the ones with the R marking. It says that the serial number 118XXX is traceable to 1947.

Hope you can share some knowledge regarding this matter. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
New here, but have collecting for about 25 years. For some reason, I have always had a soft spot for Llama pistols. I have 2 in my collection that I can't find too much info about. I have had these for a number of years. First one is a chrome .22 llama from the 70's with engraving. It also has the original chrome magazine. The second one is a Minimax from 1998 in 38 super. From what I can tell this is one of 200 made in that caliber. Does anyone have any other info on these?
I own this model III A...
CAN YOU TELL ME IF IT'S CHROME OR NICKEL?
I'M ALSO TRYING TO FIND MORE.
IT'S A 380 SEMI-AUTO.
I HAVE A CHANCE TO BUY A FULLY ENGRAVED VERSION OF THIS IN 380 AUTO AND WONDERING WHAT YOU THINK THE VALUE WOULD BE OF THE ENGRAVED ONE.
ALSO WHAT DO YOU THINK THE VALUE IS FOR THE 380 NON-ENGRAVE
THX
Photo1617418843767.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts