1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Custom Pistolsmith
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of talk lately about putting a RDS on pistols, particularly the 1911/2011/2019 platforms that we all love so much on this sight.

I want to bring attention to something to all of you who are considering adding the benefit of an RDS to your pistol. This is a living document "white paper" written by a friend of mine named Aaron Cowan. Aaron if former .mil and LEO. He is the owner of Sage Dynamics. He is considered by many of us in the industry to be the go to SME (subject matter expert) for pistol mounted red dots. He updates this document from time to time, and did so earlier this year so the data collected is continuing to evolve. Needless to say, there is a lot to digest in this and I hope it helps some of you in making good decisions.

As an aside, we now have over 6k rounds on our Holosun 507c Test Dot #2 and 11, 664 rounds through our 507c Test Dot #1 (#1 has been on over 20 different guns) with zero issues. We don't drop ours on concrete like Aaron, but we also don't always use the front posts when we mount them to test guns...

You can find out more about Aaron and the work he does to bring us all good info at www.sagedynamics.org. But here is the main document. Enjoy!

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128_0ce3f826e1264cff964d64079552b640.pdf

·
Sir Kip Esquire
11,471 Posts
Good,solid info,thank you!
And have been thinking of jumping into optics.
That Holosun is impressing me to no end,coupled with your mount it's a win!

·
Registered
660 Posts
MRDS' are the way of the future (and present). While I still shoot and enjoy my iron sighted guns, they just don't compare to red dot equipped pistols in regards to accuracy at distance and target identification and acquisition. In another 5 years I bet the majority of law enforcement will evolve to allow and issue MRDS equipped sidearms.

It was a battle here, but sounds like we are headed that way next year. So we are on the right path.

People who say dots are slower, it's because they haven't put near the amount of time necessary in behind one. How long have you shot irons sights? Did you get good and fast in a couple Weeks/months? Probably not.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
Wasn't sure where to post this but this seems like a good spot.

A few months ago I sent a slide to Brandon at Buhler Ballistics to get it milled for the CCP RDSM. Well, I've been waiting on the release of the Holosun 508t, I went back and forth between it and just getting a 507c but Sunday evening I found the 508t on amazon. Got it this evening.

My first impressions are very positive. Disabled the "auto" setting on the sight, and got it installed. The shake awake seems to work very well as I play with the thing over a beer or two. Not sure about durability yet but I haven't dropped it on the patio either. This was a major hang up for me and really what had me thinking about the 507c. I figured that titanium and a new model probably wouldn't be a step back though.

Installation on the RDSM was a breeze. Hardest part was pulling the pins out of the Holosun supplied picatiny mount. One of the pins was a bit of a b*tch, the other a real MFer to get out, but dropped into the RDSM nicely. It is a precision machined piece so it required a pair of tweezers and a watch strap spring bar tool to line em up, but they pushed right in. I see why Joe runs without em on some installs. ;)

Make sure to use the CCP supplied mounting srews to mount the sight. The Holosun supplied ones are a different thread pitch. Luckily I saw that they are finer, it's pretty obvious but I could also see a guy screwing that up, mistaking the difference in thread pitch for the blue loctite on the holosun screws. Don't cross thread screws! Luckily I put the CCP supplied screws back in the bag and stuffed em into the slide like when they arrived and didn't lose em. Same probably can't be said for the rest of the parts to put this thing back together...

Here are some picks of the install, don't mind the dirty cooler backdrop, almond harvest, or the FCS on the slide, @Joe C, you know how I feel about em, we agree. I'm in komifornia so railed guns are limited. Is what it is.
20191022_201859.jpg
20191022_201906.jpg
20191022_201937.jpg

·
Custom Pistolsmith
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the first 508 I have seen mounted on a slide, other than promo pictures. You will have to let everyone know what you think of it after some rounds on it.
Got a chance to see Fishers 508c with GREEN dot Monday and Tuesday in person. As for the Ti body, meh, whatever. But while we all thought the green dot would be the boobies, and it was...until we got it into bright sunlight. Then it just wasn't "bright" enough. Illumination wasn't the problem, it was the intensity of the color. For now I'll stick with the 507c in red please.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've definitely enjoyed Aaron's work on the use of RDS equipped pistols, both the white paper and his YT content.

I believe RDS equipped pistols will continue to gain in popularity, but after buying and trying a few different times (on Glocks), I just wasn't able to put in the time and work to maintain a high enough level of proficiency to use them on a daily basis for EDC.

That said, I think everyone owes it to themselves to try, and Aaron's YT video content is a great place to look for RDS information and visual "how to" learning material.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I drank the Kool-Aid hard on Sage Dynamics channel.

I only have one pistol with an RMR and it is a Glock 19 built by Lou at Business End Customs. It is my primary carry and the only pistol i have shot and trained with for the last 2 years. 2 years ago there was not a good option for mounting a dot to a 1911 slide. Now with the Chambers Customs mount and the Night Hawk IOS we have great options available. I’m collecting parts now and will be building a 2011 with Joe’s plate and a Holosun as soon as I can.

·
Failed all therapy
3,154 Posts
Got a chance to see Fishers 508c with GREEN dot Monday and Tuesday in person. As for the Ti body, meh, whatever. But while we all thought the green dot would be the boobies, and it was...until we got it into bright sunlight. Then it just wasn't "bright" enough. Illumination wasn't the problem, it was the intensity of the color. For now I'll stick with the 507c in red please.
Great to know, I have been intrigued by the green dot. I believe my brother got one recently to go on a slide you are milling.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Thanks for this thread and info. I'll be sticking with the red dot as well. I have been very happy with my Holosun 507c (2 of them). I'm a huge fan of red dots on pistols as the first time I ever used one my groups shrunk in size by about half once I pushed the target out beyond about 15 yards or more. That is where the red dots really shine, in my opinion - at distance. It is also a huge benefit to be able to be completely target-focused.

·
Failed all therapy
3,154 Posts
the target out beyond about 15 yards or more. That is where the red dots really shine, in my opinion - at distance. It is also a huge benefit to be able to be completely target-focused.
Sums up the reasons I have gone all in on MRDS on my pistols.

·
Premium Member
26,489 Posts
This is the biggest benefit for me. Coming from competitive trap shooting for many years I have never done well with a hand gun and front sight focus. I want to see the target.
Im really enjoying not shooting with prescription glasses. It’s great to be able to use the nice Oakley shooting glasses I have

·
Premium Member
26,489 Posts
Just want to pass along my thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. Also, much thanks Joe, always appreciated

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Funny thing is, I focus intensely on the dot, not the target...that bullseye life.
Whatever works! If I focus on the dot, the dot gets a bit fuzzy. If I focus on the target, the dot clears right up and I won’t even notice if the glass is dirty as hell. Funny (and cool) how the eyes work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts