Reaching Out.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by River Rat, Feb 4, 2019.

1. River Rat

River Rat Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2017
    OK folks, this is going to be a little long, so please bear with me. I'm looking for some help, direction and advice. Since I joined here I've been amazed at the broad base of knowledge and experience the members here possess. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. So here's the story...
    My son's neighbor is a Marine vet from WW2. Fourth Marine Division, severely wounded on Saipan and spent a year in the hospital recovering. He was basically an orphan, raised by his aunt during the depression. When he came home he married his sweetheart, and they had 70 wonderful years together until she died recently. No children. So when she passed, I started visiting him on a regular basis as he was alone most of the time. 94 years old, but still in remarkable health and sharp as a tack. Always bring him a home made pie my wife has baked, which makes a big hit! So today as we chatted, he mentions he had always hoped to be buried in Marine Dress Blues when he passes, but he could never afford them when he served. Apparently he has reached out to a few Marine groups about obtaining the Dress Blues to no avail. So as I walked out of his house today, I made a promise to myself. THIS HERO WILL BE BURIED IN HIS BELOVED MARINES DRESS BLUES. So help me. So now the questions: As I'm sure there are rules and regulations that come into play, how would I go about obtaining a set of Dress Blues for him? Where to start? Thanks guys, for any help or direction you could give me. rat

Mike0251, Stentor, xerts1191 and 14 others like this.
  2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Does he belong to a local VFW chapter? If not, maybe contact the local chapters and see if someone there could assist you?
    Dammm good of you to step up Rat. Keep us updated.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I don't know the answer, but I wish you luck.

ImperialBlade likes this.
  4. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Sparky has a good starting point. If that doesn't pan out, I'd pay a visit to the local Marine recruitment center. I am sure they would want to help, plus the positive PR would help their recruiting.
    If that doesn't work then I would check with your state senator, again they would benefit from the PR of helping a Combat wounded WW2 Marine Vet fulfill his dream of being buried in his Dress Blues.

5. River Rat

Mar 4, 2017
    Complicating the whole thing is that he has very bad memories of his war experiences. Still has horrific dreams after all these years. Consequently he has shyed away from any involvement with veterans groups. Good ideas about the recruiting center and local pols.

Kip and ImperialBlade like this.
  6. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
  7. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    1 Marinecorpvets.org
    2 contact his congressman with his wishes .
    3 contact the Commandant of the USMC and explain the situation.

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    If all else fails contact Marine Corp dress blues .com
    He will need
    Blouse
    Trousers
    Cover
    Carframs
    Get a total cost and ask for contributions
    I’m in

9. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Just ring that bell and I’m in. A great chance to say thanks to a true hero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. removed

removed Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Yes, same here. I am down with pitching in!

BennyAdeline and Journeyman1234 like this.
  11. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
  12. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Good stuff here.
    Hope it all works out.

BennyAdeline and ImperialBlade like this.
  13. River Rat

Mar 4, 2017
    Tac, I had no idea you could obtain them that easily. And thanks to you all for the great and immediate responses. I admit I'm a sap, I wear my heart on my sleeve.. I sit here with wet eyes once again reminded of the type of men and women who populate this site. I will keep you all updated.

14. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Get him to tell you his service number (he’ll likely have that memorized). It may come in handy if you should need to obtain a copy of his DD214 from the Marine Corps personnel office. That record of discharge may come in handy if it’s needed to claim service-related benefits. Good luck!

[My uncle was with the Second Marine Division, wounded at Tarawa, recovered in Hawaii and then more severely wounded in the battle for Saipan].

15. Journeyman1234

Journeyman1234 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    I'd be in for a contribution, as well.

BennyAdeline and danc1996 like this.
  16. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Try here for info:
    https://www.war-veterans.org/nnok.htm

Also contact any vet group, does not matter if he was a member or not. He is a brother, period and he will not be left alone/behind.

Keep us posted.

OneEyedTanker, FWoo45, tac45 and 2 others like this.
  17. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I’ll help. You’re a good man OP.

Journeyman1234 and ImperialBlade like this.
  18. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
  19. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    In for updates and help

20. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    Call a funeral home and ask them,,,,,,,,im sure I can find more stuff to sell & donate the proceeds!

BenchMonkey and tac45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted