Read any good books lately?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B81, Mar 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    For those of you who read books, what do you read? Have you read any books lately that you found entertaining, informative, thought provoking, or otherwise impressed you?

gps man, xerts1191 and Scaramouche like this.
  2. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Ladislas Farago- Game of the Foxes

A must read for any WWII or espionage history buff.

Roger Morris- The Devil's Butcher Shop

How 'bout you, B81?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

3. GeorgeandSugar

GeorgeandSugar Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    A book on the 2A. Interesting the debate on the U.S.. Constitution and the Bill of Rights stemming from “natural rights.”

Highlights

“Today, the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is hotly debated. Opponents of gun laws point to the mandate that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Focusing on its Militia Clause, proponents claim that the Amendment protects only State militia powers. The Founders’ Second Amendment provides a comprehensive historical look at what America’s founders thought and wrote about the issue.
    With Redcoats sailing to occupy Boston in 1768, a pundit spread the alarm that “the Inhabitants of this Province are to be disarmed,” they would be “governed by Martial Law,” and patriots “are to be seized and sent to Great-Britain.” This set the tone for a series of ever-escalating conflicts over the next seven years that would explode when General Thomas Gage sent British troops to seize the colonists’ arms at Lexington and Concord. Defeated there, Gage then confiscated the firearms of the people of Boston, a grievance highlighted by the Continental Congress in justifying what became the Revolutionary War.

Independence being declared in 1776, the states began adopting bills of rights, several of which recognized “the right of the people” to have arms for various purposes, such as self defense and the common defense. While some states saw no need for declarations of rights, the liberty of bearing arms was universally recognized. At the same time, militias composed of all male citizens were seen as necessary counter-weights to the threat of a standing army.

A firestorm was sparked when the Constitution was proposed in 1787 without a bill of rights. Federalists and Antifederalists fiercely battled over the issue as the States began ratifying the Constitution. In the first conventions, the Federalists defeated demands for recognition of the rights to free speech, assembly, and bearing arms. But the tide turned in Virginia, where Patrick Henry and George Mason prevailed in persuading the convention to demand a bill of rights.

A great compromise was reached when the Federalists and Antifederalists concurred that the Constitution would be ratified subject to the agreement that the first Congress would consider amendments. James Madison did just that by proposing what became the Bill of Rights in 1787. Federalists explained that what became the Second Amendment would protect the right of the people to keep and bear their private arms, which would guard against tyranny and the evils of a standing army. However, proposals to increase state militia powers were rejected.
    Thomas Jefferson, a life-long hunter and gun collector, wrote just before his death in 1826 that “all power is inherent in the people; . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” The understanding by his generation of the Second Amendment was clear and unmistakable—as its text states, it recognizes “the right of the people” to possess and carry arms. The Constitution defines the respective powers of the federal and state governments, but the Bill of Rights speaks largely of individual rights. If the Second Amendment is no exception, what it protects—and what restrictions government may impose—will continue to be hotly debated.”[​IMG]

http://www.independent.org/publications/books/summary.asp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xerts1191 and KTXdm9 like this.
  4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
    Hunter S. Thompson
    :p

5. Harleyvato

Harleyvato Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    Currently Atlas shrugged,just finished a collection of hack London stories from the north.both very entertaining

6. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    The 80's film was IMO Bill Murray's best work.

7. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Currently re-reading Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company. It's a compendium of the first three entries in a military fantasy series about a company of mercenaries. One of my favs.

Acroyer likes this.
  8. jimkahler

jimkahler New Member

Sep 1, 2018
    Jack Reacher novels, just for fun

9. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned

Oct 31, 2016
    I’m reading “The Hunter Killers” by Dan Hampton.

It’s about the first Wild Weasel teams ( SAM killers ) in the Vietnam war.

5 chapters in so far, I like it!

BR549er likes this.
  10. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Swan Song
    Robert McCammon

(end of the world horror)

Acroyer and ORShooter like this.
  11. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    That was a great story! I first read that book in the late '80's. Read a bunch of his other stuff too.

You should read "Gone South".

12. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

Ive read that one.. buttt reread Swan Song yearly..

ORShooter likes this.
  13. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    You will never want to journey in the Amazon rainforest after you read this book. Teddy Roosevelt and son did a "float trip" down an uncharted Amazon tributary. Everything in the rainforest wants to sting you, bite you or kill you.

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey

ORShooter, FWoo45, TxTrail80 and 2 others like this.
  14. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Dear Mom A Snipers Vietnam
    Joseph T. Ward

Going Home series
    A. American

15. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I remember enjoying his book Stinger when I was a kid.

ORShooter likes this.
  16. TxTrail80

TxTrail80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 24, 2018
    upload_2019-3-15_20-46-59.jpeg
    Excellent overview of the Great War.
    This picture shows the clash of old ideals with modern destructive reality born on the naïveté of horse warfare in the Industrial Age.

FWoo45 likes this.
  17. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I just finished reading Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death

His main argument is that the Orwellian warning of Big Brother is not what we as Americans need to worry most about. It's our propensity for (mindless) distractions that is most threatening to our individual rights and freedoms.

Postman argues that it's not just entertainment in of itself that's the problem. The problem is that the line between entertainment and serious (important) forms of public discourse, such as politics, education, religion, and commerce are starting to blur. The way we communicate as a society at large is relying more and more on concrete images (photos, video) rather than appeals to abstract concepts and principles, dramatizations and snippets of unconnected pieces of information rather than coherent expositions. This trend naturally limits our depth of understanding as well as our ability to detect lies and misinformation.

He points out that neither the Government nor Corporate America is responsible for this. There is no conspiracy here. We're doing this to ourselves.

Postman wrote his book in 1985. Naturally, his argument mainly attacks the medium of television, as personal computers and the Internet had not yet gone mainstream. However, I think his fundamental arguments apply equally (if not more so) to today's social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, etc).

The idea of mankind nonchalantly giving up their freedoms in exchange for idle pleasures was introduced by Aldous Huxley in the book Brave New World. I had read Brave New World some years ago, but now I need to read it again.

Okay. I'll get off my soap box. ;)

Mike Meints and TxTrail80 like this.
  18. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    After a lifetime, I am currently rereading the kiss and tell it's so nice to be naughty Robert Graves' translation of Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars.
    I always liked this book cause it reminded me of the Washington Post and/or the Moscow Times.

gps man and TxTrail80 like this.
  19. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Off The Beaten Path - a travel guide . It's inspirational .

20. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    For those enjoying true accounts of mob hit men...read Anthony Bruno's The Iceman: True Story of a Cold Blooded Killer. Chronicles the life of Richard Kuklinski. Man had bizarre ways of offing his targets.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted