1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From time to time members have questions about old primers, storage and usability.
I found these in a box that I'm sure hasn't been opened in at least 20 years. I was doing an inventory of powder, primers and bullets. These primers are probably from the late 60's! The little tray holding the primers is WOOD! 3K Winchester LRP's I didn't know I had, winner-winner!

Since I was loading some M1 Garand ammo I decided to give these a test run. 13 rounds at 100 yards. The first three rounds were at 50 yards to see if they would go "boom"! I covered that group with the box! The load is 46.5 grains of 4895 and Hornady 150 grain PSP Interlock bullets!

So, some REALLY OLD components if stored in climate controlled environment might just be GTG!

I'll be loading a few more to test at 200 yards.

Smiles,

Old primers and M1 Garand 20200321_102543.jpg

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A few years ago I bought for dirt cheap, rock bottom, almost free a boat load of powder and primers. Some of this stuff Noah had on the arc with him, and some of the powder can labels were written in latin. Actually this stuff was from the 40's and 50's, out of 30 pounds of assorted powder, only one pound of IMR 4895 was bad, and the primers were just fine. Granted I was only making target and range ammo but it all went bang. I also got some bullets and cases which were tarnished but once tumbled (tumbled not vibrated on the bullets) were like new. No need to discard old stuff if it was stored correctly.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I found a bunch in some boxes from my Dad's estate. He used to reload shotgun shells when I was a kid. I'mma thinking these are from the early 60's.

CIMG0614.JPG

CIMG0615.JPG

I don't have any plans to start reloading in the foreseeable future. Would you like them?

A nice historical conversation piece if nothing else.

Z

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
From time to time members have questions about old primers, storage and usability.
I found these in a box that I'm sure hasn't been opened in at least 20 years. I was doing an inventory of powder, primers and bullets. These primers are probably from the late 60's! The little tray holding the primers is WOOD! 3K Winchester LRP's I didn't know I had, winner-winner!

Since I was loading some M1 Garand ammo I decided to give these a test run. 13 rounds at 100 yards. The first three rounds were at 50 yards to see if they would go "boom"! I covered that group with the box! The load is 46.5 grains of 4895 and Hornady 150 grain PSP Interlock bullets!

So, some REALLY OLD components if stored in climate controlled environment might just be GTG!

I'll be loading a few more to test at 200 yards.

Smiles,

View attachment 442761
I load for several M1s including two 7.62 M1s ( 1 USMC NM and 1 Navy Trophy). If you want to use 4895, I strongly suggest H4895 over IMR. IMR changed the mixture decades ago when the Kearny plant burned down, and you do occasionally get some pressure spikes.

Personally for M1s, my go to powder is 4064. Winchester primers are well made, but for accuracy I normally go to Federal 210Ms. My standard deviation stays in the single digits. I also load for M1As and M-14s.

One quick note, M1s love 175 Sierra Match Kings. They also like 155 Palmas and 168 SMKs.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Powder has a weird smell to it if it goes bad.
Primers I look into the anvil area and if they are clean and not corroded they'll ignite the powder.
Heck I've got bullets that are 50 years old that were bought in bulk back in the National Match day. They polish up brighter than some of the new bullets.

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I load for several M1s including two 7.62 M1s ( 1 USMC NM and 1 Navy Trophy). If you want to use 4895, I strongly suggest H4895 over IMR. IMR changed the mixture decades ago when the Kearny plant burned down, and you do occasionally get some pressure spikes.

Personally for M1s, my go to powder is 4064. Winchester primers are well made, but for accuracy I normally go to Federal 210Ms. My standard deviation stays in the single digits. I also load for M1As and M-14s.

One quick note, M1s love 175 Sierra Match Kings. They also like 155 Palmas and 168 SMKs.
U. Bob,

I've been reading your posts for years regarding the M1 and always follow your advice. The powder was in fact H4895. I stopped shooting DCM/CMP matches 20 or more years ago! Age has a way of creeping up on your reality!

These days I'm mostly shooting as a form of relaxation. 2-4 inch groups at 100 yards lights my fire these days. I always bring lots of ammo to share the M1 experience for anybody that shows an interest.

At 73, I have over 200 shooting awards including state and national level matches that don't mean a thing these days!

Smiles,

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a bunch in some boxes from my Dad's estate. He used to reload shotgun shells when I was a kid. I'mma thinking these are from the early 60's.

View attachment 442799

View attachment 442801

I don't have any plans to start reloading in the foreseeable future. Would you like them?

A nice historical conversation piece if nothing else.

Z

Thanks for the offer but I'm OK on primers and the haz-mat fee is a killer!

Smiles,

John

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
U. Bob,

I've been reading your posts for years regarding the M1 and always follow your advice. The powder was in fact H4895. I stopped shooting DCM/CMP matches 20 or more years ago! Age has a way of creeping up on your reality!
I feel it, in the 80s I got so busy on the job, I honestly didn't have time for high-power and 1000 yards. Man was it addictive and so was the challenge of who I was shooting with. Noma McCollough could log jam her 70X and still clear and get off all her rounds; and still beat me (using a gas gun).

These days I'm mostly shooting as a form of relaxation. 2-4 inch groups at 100 yards lights my fire these days. I always bring lots of ammo to share the M1 experience for anybody that shows an interest.
Funny back in the day especially with pistol I really didn't have the patience to teach/help folks and I was offered a job at Gunsite in 82. Now it's a different story. Anytime a certain friend brings someone out to the range, he's usually hands them off to me and then uses my ammo. It's OK, he's good people. Occasionally work with some of the local deputies and State Troopers (pistol)

At 73, I have over 200 shooting awards including state and national level matches that don't mean a thing these days!
Smiles,
Whew... I had a ton of IPSC trophies and one day I just got tired of dusting and/or polishing them. I tossed them. I never shot national level for one reason, by the time I could really afford it, I didn't have time for it. Last time I went to Perry was 2012, but it was business (commercial row). Had a ball with the Sinclair folks, helped Forster (and still am) and several other folks including the AMU. I had an M1A in a McMillan stock and they wanted to fiddle with it since all of their had scopes on them. It really was my ammo testing rifle, so I didn't mind since it normally isn't in that stock.

Once I burn out the barrel, I'll screw on a Kreiger, I have two in the barrel safe.

Here's the USMC M1, this was the day he decided that I load the ammo for him. He screwed up. Quick note, I can post the instructions for NM'ing an M1 if you feel like it. I'm going through his collection and doing type 1 and II bedding.

crimp.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts

Smiles,
PS you have some years on me, but I broke my shoulder back in 2007. I still shoot except really bad days and that's when I keep it pistol only.

I still have 1000 bullets (no longer made) that I used at 1000 yards. They're the old Lapua D46 in 170 grains. The CA team used them and the VA team used the 185 grains as did the USMC. Problem is with an M14 or M1A, best carry parts when you're using the 185s, they will break the rifle.

This is the Lapua 170 grain D46 and Hornady actually made a 168 grain copy which the kid dropped when the old man passed away.

Lapua 170 grain 003.jpg

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PS you have some years on me, but I broke my shoulder back in 2007. I still shoot except really bad days and that's when I keep it pistol only.

I still have 1000 bullets (no longer made) that I used at 1000 yards. They're the old Lapua D46 in 170 grains. The CA team used them and the VA team used the 185 grains as did the USMC. Problem is with an M14 or M1A, best carry parts when you're using the 185s, they will break the rifle.

This is the Lapua 170 grain D46 and Hornady actually made a 168 grain copy which the kid dropped when the old man passed away.

View attachment 443103
I've had head aches and neck pain for a few months and the diagnosis isn't good, degenerative bone disease in neck and shoulders! Aging isn't for the weak!

Smiles,

Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I've had head aches and neck pain for a few months and the diagnosis isn't good, degenerative bone disease in neck and shoulders! Aging isn't for the weak!

Smiles,

Boy could we swap horror stories. BUT... I do have a cheat. Friend of mine had a classic Model 54 that was rusted up. I went through it, cleaned it up and it's darn near pristine (except for the butt plate). I did write it up for Brownells.

I then swapped him a pristine 03 I had for it because that 54 is so sweet I had to have it. What I do is load "gallery loads" for it on bad days and just plink at 100 yards. It's almost like shooting a 22 rifle.

I either use M80 pulls or a bunch of 155 Palmas that that friend screwed up over crimping them. Then he screwed up not crimping them when I told him you really don't need to crimp for an M1 or M14 type. After he screwed up I taught him about proper and uniform neck tension. He just leaves it to me since he's busy as an orthopedic surgeon. I also fixed his Thompson some years ago (he sold it for his wife's new SUV).

I do have some funny stories about what I've tried with the 54 and the gallery loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts