1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys this has probably been asked more than once or twice, but i don't recall who if anyone won out lol.. So, here it goes straight or angled, wide or narrow, conventional 1911 RCS like the colt. etc.. Not talking the fancy xtac, or fancier designs just the plain old straight, v or angle cuts, ball cuts, etc.. straight lines in other words.. I personally prefer wider but, angled If I have to have them straight I prefer the colt or GI style serrations. Is less more, really aggressive edges? Just curious to know what everyone's preference is when it comes to straight line. Now they can be done with nearly any cutters so, ball cut serrations etc.. If ball mills done, should they point up or have flats between the ball cuts. Let me hear it guys and gals.

·
The Tinker
4,487 Posts
I'm more conservative in my likes and dislikes regarding what goes on a firearm (as you well know), but having said that...

I prefer the old Colt style serrations, laid out vertically. I discovered that I can slide down the slanted versions and if they are sharp, lacerate my finger tips. Don't ask me how I know this. :oops:

I put more modern/spaced serrations on my 2011 slide because that's what I could do at the time with the end mills I had available. They work, but not as well as the old-style vertical ones IMO.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
For me it really depends on the theme of the build. Generally I like em to be a bit more aggressive but that's because I slingshot on my reloads and don't like FCS at all. So I'm really not much help. If the grip treatment is ball flutes and so is the slide top, I like ball cut RCS, a little spaced out if possible. Not coming to a point. Would look way out of place on a retro build. Those should be the fine, vertical, colt style. Like I said, no help.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me it really depends on the theme of the build. Generally I like em to be a bit more aggressive but that's because I slingshot on my reloads and don't like FCS at all. So I'm really not much help. If the grip treatment is ball flutes and so is the slide top, I like ball cut RCS, a little spaced out if possible. Not coming to a point. Would look way out of place on a retro build. Those should be the fine, vertical, colt style. Like I said, no help.
Actually we have a lot of the same philosophy here, the style of the build does matter for me as well. I tend to get more aggressive on a carry pistol, and a little more refined on classic or retro style build. I do prefer them angled though unless the build is completely old school GI ya know or on the extreme classic.. It's hard to mismatch styles for me cause I really like symmetry.. But, they got to be functional as well. So, you see if your no help I am even twice as much no help lmao.. ;) hahaha

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think current DW angled serrations with no FCS are about perfect aesthetically. Les Baer is the only brand I like with front serrations, it’s just so common seeing the fine angled LB type up front.

I’m probably in the distinct minority, but I only like vertical on Colts.
LOL you and me both, before I had a chance to read your thread pretty much said the same thing about the vertical serrations, colt or a heavily favored GI type build... I like the DW as well, just seem kind of plain and bland in a way though..

In doing this for a living though you very often really have to step outside of your own box. And this can be kind of hard to do sometimes. I try to not let my own preferences rule a build, or redirection the client into a specific style just because I like it ya know. It's kind of hard to do that sometime. Hard to do something that you don't personally like on a handgun yourself... Trying to stay with a theme or a style conducive with the build to blend without getting stuck in a rut on a theme etc..

Sometimes there is a fine line between hey this will look good to hey this really clashes with the style of the rest of the build...

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,573 Posts
I think current DW angled serrations with no FCS are about perfect aesthetically. Les Baer is the only brand I like with front serrations, it’s just so common seeing the fine angled LB type up front.

I’m probably in the distinct minority, but I only like vertical on Colts.
^^^^This^^^^
All time favorite is LB angled with no FCS, ever on any 1911.
Second fav are Dan Wesson’s. Then Colt vertical.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
I don’t mind the angled rear cs’s but do not care for fcs’s. Both my DW and my GI’s have angled rcs’s but I prefer those on the GI’s, they seem to be deeper and they are farther apart and(for me)give a better grip.

·
الواحد
1,336 Posts
I prefer B-Nape’s straight vertical fine front and rear. Followed by colts slanted.

The best “version” I thought at the time in VA about 5 years ago. A guy brought in a custom 70s ish colt with the verticals (front and rear) milled smooth and the blankspace was hand stippled to perfection. It was like finer sand paper where the vertical lines should have been. The gun was tough but the owner of the store wouldn’t buy it because it had been worked on.

The build has a lot to do with it too. I’m not a fan of huge STI style grooves or crazy designs outside of maybe chain link.

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Black
Wood Hardwood Gun Wood stain Flooring

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
I like wide cuts(cocking serrations ) rear only. doe snot matter to me if they have a slight cant or are straight

Reactions: Badabing11

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
That is very cool!

Personally I like them all. I always thought I disliked FCS, but I got a gun with them and I like them.

FCS used to be a no go for me on a new purchase. As I get older I am warming up to them.

I think as long as they are consistent with the theme of the build, that’s all that matters to me. Preferences are leaning towards traditional as I age...go figure

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.