Rear of slide serrations

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by MDP, Oct 25, 2018.

1. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    Question for those that do a lot of rear of slide serrations. How do you deal with the cuts finding the edge of the extractor hole radius? The picture is 50 LPI serrations, notice the missing part of metal at the top of the extractor hole. This could also happen at the edge around the ejector. SERR 50LPI.jpeg

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I have no experience with this whatsoever, but here’s my take. It takes experience and math. Hard math. You must calculate where the cut will be in that spot and adjust the spacing accordingly. Measure so that the cut is just above the danger zone.

3. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Dang Red, that makes real sense . . .

4. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015
    Or I guess you could make the first cut just above it, and index the rest from there. Maybe.

ZArugby and FWoo45 like this.
  5. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    The reason why I have not tried these things. That’s to much thinking for me.

6. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016

The problem with that is there are 5 locations where this can happen on the rear of a slide.....where the bottom of the slide meets the frame, 2 spots at the top of the ejector, and the top and bottom of the extractor hole so when you adjust for one it relocates another and 50LPI are some pretty fine lines.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  7. Ethanol Red

Jul 12, 2015

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted