Rear sight issues on my Cimarron

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by doc1911, Nov 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. doc1911

doc1911 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 1, 2011
    I bought a cimarron1911 impulsively. After the first range trip I noticed just how ugly and mistreated the rear sight was.
    I bought a 1911 MGW sight pusher and a Harrison Design retro sight.
    I just can't get the sights to budge with that device. This is what the sight looked like on the brand new pistol. My next step is to get a new brass punch set and try removing it with controlled Brutane.
    sights101.jpg cimarronsights1.jpg

2. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Damn!

It looks like somebody had to hammer on it pretty hard to get it in there, so it may indeed take some unusual force to get it out.

You may find the dovetail/new rear sight need a bit of filing to fit as well.

3. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Looks like it was put in from the wrong side.

4. doc1911

doc1911 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Nov 1, 2011
    Probably. I finally got it out with the sight adjuster and replaced it with a stock sight from a Colt Commander. I don't have any files so I am holding off putting in the Harrison Design Retro sight. I used the sight pusher tool and got the sight in however it caused some stress on the lips of the dovetail cut. Now I'm shooting high and left.
    I will continue my break in of the pistol and once I have all of the appropriate tools I will replace it with the Retro sight which is more aesthetically pleasing.

5. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Carefull if using a sight pusher tool. You'll often time loose that fine feeling for the job. If the the dovetail cuts on the slide are sharp, the can start to chew up the sight. Especially if the sight isn't prepped right and being forced into the dovetail a little sideways. Also make sure that the height of the dovetail on the sight, has the right size before installing it.
    It's not always as easy as one would think, and installing sights is a little bit of an artform in it self.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted