STI Reason for 2011 slide not locking back

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Greg3458, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    On and STI 2011 other than magazine/follower what can cause slide from not locking back on last round/empty mag while shooting. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Modified slide catch, underpowered ammo, anything that can cause the issue in a single stack.

gaijin likes this.

3. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Yeah a lot of people that shoot uspsa will cut the follower or the catch on the stop pin so it won’t lock back on an empty mag. I’m not sure why, I just know it’s common

4. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    I've been told the reason for not wanting an STI 2011 to lock back after the last round is fired, is because in the stress of competition sometimes on reload the shooter will jam it in so hard he gets the extractor out of whack. Just what I've read.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Way back when I shot USPSA, many folks would disable the slide lock (one way or another) to prevent inadvertent slide lock during a stage run.

I just deepened the 'dimple' on the back of the slide stop to prevent unwanted engagement, yet still function on a empty mag.

I don't know about the more casual shooters, but those I shot with (including myself) always knew how many shots I had taken and what was left in the mag, because nothing blows a stage quicker than 'running dry'.

gaijin likes this.
  6. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    NO chance of the slide accidently locking back..Reload where you WANT to, not where you HAVE to. This does not always apply to single-stack/production 8-10rd guns. especially when there are 8 pieces of steel in an array.. then: I prefer them to function as designed.
    "Course design and construction must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single location or view, nor allow a competitor to shoot all targets in the course of fire from any single location or view."

7. Greg3458

Greg3458 Active Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Shooting double stack pistol 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    I've been going through some slide lock education over the past couple of weeks. Sometimes the lug on the slide lock is out of tolerance and the follower doesn't have enough purchase on it and slips to the side of the lug. You can hear it 'click' as you insert the slide all the way.
    In my adventure to figure out why it happens, I've found it's more times than not caused by two factors:
    1. Follower gets chewed up. Gen 1 MBX Extreme followers are an example of this. I replaced all of my Gen 1 followers to the beefed up Gen 2. Take the slide off your gun, put the slide lock back into the frame and insert a mag slowly. What happens as the follower touches the slide lock?
    2. Spring in the mag is weak. Amazing how quickly the springs get compressed. I test it by removing the spring, manually stretching it out a bit, putting spring/follower back into the mag, and if the follower locks back the slide, time to replace the spring.
    To a lesser extent there's the Gen 1 STI mags. They're just a piece of shitt in the first place and should be avoided. I think they fail sometimes because STI designed them to do that so you had to pay a smith a ton of money to 'tune' your mags. Got about 4 or 5 I'm going to swap out eventually to all MBX Gen 2s.
    For reference, I did a two day Steve Fisher (Yeti) course this weekend with my wife. We both used a 2011 of some type, and I used STI Gen 1, Gen 2 and MBX mags. Only the MBX mags didn't have critical failures of some type. The STI's had follower issues where they would slip to the side and the rounds would rattle around in the tube. Pathetic.

ZArugby and Greg3458 like this.
  9. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    Saw it many times. YMMV.

10. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    A lot of werid Sh*t happens after the timer goes off...like Kryptonite to Superman:confused:

11. CENTURIATOR

Dec 20, 2018
    Murphy's Law is at peak performance during any kind of competition, timed drill, training scenario or in real life SHTF moments. That's why we train for failures to happen. And they like to happen at the worst possible moments. Fortunately, in gun games, it is not a life/death situation.

12. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Make sure you’re not riding the slide stop.

ChuckC likes this.
  13. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Generally hard to do on a 2011. The frames bury the slide stops and have raised areas where the grip meets the frame, instead of having them stick out like on a 1911.

Greg3458 likes this.
  14. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Yeup, but people get overly aggressive with grip.

Make sure you’re not riding the slide stop.

15. CENTURIATOR

Dec 20, 2018
    The reason why I really enjoy shooting the 2011 is precisely because with my huge hands and long fingers I tend to hit the slide stop and with the 2011, because it has the 1911 style safety it really keeps shooting hand thumb away from the slide stop and as per the previous comment, the slide stop is closer in.

wrmiller likes this.
  16. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    True, true. Watched a medical officer once jam a Beretta slide in backwards running a range, so...

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  17. CENTURIATOR

Dec 20, 2018
    Wow, well....anything worth doing is worth doing right. If you are going to really screw up, he excelled.

I watched a buy load up a magazine with all the rounds backwards. I should have stopped him but I could not tear my eyes away and say anything.

18. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    That's call H&K

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  19. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    The main reason it gets disabled is due to the design of the 2011's frame; it'll allow the 140mm and 170mm mags to over-insert and can cause the ejector to bend.

Unless the shooter uses a specifically designed mag catch to prevent the over-insertion.

CENTURIATOR and ChuckC like this.
  20. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Your second quote basically contradict the first one...LOL.

What you "Want to do" vs "what you actually do," once the timer goes off are two different things.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted