1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else excited about the new two/tone VBOB for 2020 ? I'm not loving the trigger but then again I've never shot a flat trigger and I'm not wild about ambi-safeties but I figure @Steve Owens can improve on this beauty.

I cam away from SHOT needing three things, this new VBOB, this super cool and yet TBD how expensive VT94 and a Nighthawk Predator II in either sniper gray or smoke Nitrade

19e_DW-VBOB-Elite-Two-Tone-L-1100px-900x709.png
19e_DW-VBOB-Elite-Two-Tone-R-1200px.png
NH.jpg
VT 94.jpg

·
Enabler
3,409 Posts
I like the new DWs. Just ordered some ECP today.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,771 Posts
I'm sorry, and many of you know what a huge Dan Wesson fan I was. But, I have to say that other than the DWX I feel that they made some pretty poor and insignificant changes.

I see the benefit of the AMBI safety, which could be had one way or the other I'd ordered any way, but to a right handed person it's a draw back for carry purposes.

And I have to be honest the DWX excites me because of the 1911 and CZ influence combined. I feel that this offering is CZ's way of trying to breath some newness in to the DW..

Prices are now rivaling that if a few semi custom models and I could see spending my money elsewhere. I still like working in the older models their an excellent platform to customize but their new stuff or freshened up older stuff don't really do it for me. And the trigger is tacky at best imo. Looks like an old Caspian trik Trigger.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,771 Posts
I simply can't figure out why DW discontinued certain models only to reintroduce them again a few months later.
Right and then just re-introduced them with some slight modifications under the same model name.. Seems to me like who ever is actually in charge of their marketing lacks much imagination..

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Was I ahead of the times with my Two Toned VBob?
IMG_2551 (2).jpg

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
The VBOB won't make it into California, at least not affordably and on the roster so its sort of a moot point for me like so many guns :( That being said I like most of it, not the trigger, & Id be in for one as a base gun most likely if I could get one.

Im right handed and every 1911 has / gets an ambi safety. Never know when you have to shoot with the other hand. The safety properly trimmed and shaped isn't a handicap - just my opinion at least.

·
Banned
446 Posts
How is the ambi safety a draw back to right handed people? I'm left handed and practice weak hand unsupported and supported and haven't ever had an issue.

·
Enabler
3,409 Posts
That show was a bigger enabler for you than we are!!!! Hard to believe.
Lol, I've spent more today then any other show and I still have tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
How is the ambi safety a draw back to right handed people? I'm left handed and practice weak hand unsupported and supported and haven't ever had an issue.
With the way I grip a gun, or a 1911 at least, ambi's bite into my right hand. I hate em, right up until I have to shoot left handed, then I think they need to be on all of my guns. I totally see where Simon is coming from. I also see Steve's point. Even if I changed my grip, and I don't want to, it's not right necessarily but it is what I do, I've never had a RHO safety disengaged while carrying. I have had that issue with an ambi. Knock on wood. Was on a p938 that now has a RHO off a 238. That gun doesn't have a grip safety so maybe I'm paranoid. No right answer but none of my customs have ambi's, by design, my nightstand work in pieces, does.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tough crowd here

·
Registered
601 Posts
I simply can't figure out why DW discontinued certain models only to reintroduce them again a few months later.
A speculative answer here, but perhaps to drive up demand for a "gone forever" product and help sell off a greater amount of inventory before rolling out the new models.

More speculation, but some astute DW observers have posted that DW might be using a different supplier for some of its major parts; I wonder if there could have been a contractual obligation or other business reason to "discontinue" a series before it could be brought back with a new supplier.

It could be as simple as they intended to discontinue the Valor and when they saw fan uproar, decided to continue the name on a new product they'd intended to give a different moniker to.

DW just seems a bit all over the place and sometimes when that happens, quality drops. They know their business and reasons better than I do, but it seemed they had an excellent model offering the best combination of production line assembly with a little hand finesse, expert CNC and high quality parts on more classically appointed guns. I don't think I'd've messed much with that formula.

Much rumblings that DW couldn't keep offering that quality at the posted price point -- if true, what if anything gave way? We'll see...

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,299 Posts
I actually like the look, however I'm not a fan of the bobbed grip. I like a traditional grip. As far as the flat trigger goes, I'm a huge fan of the flat trigger. I have one on my full size, and as soon as money permits, I'm having one installed on my compact. I love them.

·
In the staging lanes
2,230 Posts
I like it John. but in full disclosure I'm a 2 tone lover & OF COURSE LOVE the flatty.

I will definitely get a DWX as well.

George

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,071 Posts
I prefer the style of the old Valor ie. RCS, trigger, however I like the slide top
serrations and sights and the Chen magwell on the FS Valor.
I’m not a two tone guy and never will be especially
when it comes to the small black parts.
It reminds me of Ruger’s and S&W’s use of one color of black
MIM parts on every gun the offer in order to cut cost.
Knowing that that is not the case with DW is noteworthy however.
But hey that’s just me, and the two tone offering obviously will have its appeal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts