1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0186.JPG

So I have this Colt Combat Commander (.45ACP) from 1973 that I have been holding for a cool build from a gunsmith, but lately I have been more inclined to do as much work as I can myself. Not everything is going to be possible and I will need to send parts out for certain work I can't do, but over the last few weeks I have been starting on some of the stuff I can do.

The parts list is going to be:

Kart EZ-Fit barrel (fitted by me)
Harrison Design Barrel Bushing
EGW Long Checkered Recoil Plug
Wilson Recoil Guide Rod
Cylinder and Slide Ultra Light Hammer
EGW Ti Hammer Strut
EGW Ti MSH Cap
Colt Sear Spring
Ed Brown Perfection Sear
Ed Brown Disconnector
10-8 Flat Trigger
Harrison Design Retro Thumb Safety
EGW Grip Safety
Harrison Design Grips

I still haven't decided on sights or if I am going to swap the MSH.

So what I have done so far is fit the barrel, thumb safety and grip safety. Did some reshaping and matching on the thumb safety and grip safety to make it look the way I want it to.

FullSizeRender.jpg

The last few weeks I have been high cutting the frame and bevelling the magwell, all by hand.

IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG

In a few months maybe I will be somewhere with this all....

·
The Tinker
3,307 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere. And you won't get anywhere unless you take the first step...and then the next...and so on. Have fun! :)

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
I’ll want too see it along the way. Great project and determination.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
Tagging for updates. Wishing you all the best and enjoyment in your quest. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Please keep posting pics as your project progresses. I am especially interested in seeing how you fit the Kart barrel.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please keep posting pics as your project progresses. I am especially interested in seeing how you fit the Kart barrel.
The Kart fitting is pretty straight forward since I am using an EZ-Fit. This is my second one, so I am hoping it goes a bit more smoothly. Really there is hood length to fit, and then there are fitting pads for height and you fit the legs at the same time. Sorta of like Joe-C's barrel fitting challenge, but you start over sized. The kit they sell for fitting has a good bushing, and feeler gauge. Plus a file fit for the for the fitting pads on the barrel.

Spent the day putting a bevel on the slide. I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
802 Posts
Did you bevel the slide by hand? If so, do you mind explaining how you did it? Looks very sharp and precise!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts