Rebuilding an old friend.

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by Dwe, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Back in the day and before I had the financial where with all to afford nicer 1911's I bought a Norinco 1911. In the early 90's I was learning all about 1911's, installing BGS and other basic smith work.
    When I brought it home I stripped it down and cold blued the frame and slide. Replaced everything in the gun other than the frame and slide. Then installed a bull barreled Comp kit from a company called Centaur systems. The Slide to frame fit was not sloppy but not real tight either. and with a red dot sight the gun was accurate enough for what i need it for. Over the years I Shot 1000's of rounds thru the gun in local NRA action events. For the last 10 or so years It has sported a Ciener 22LR top end which the kids and I have shot for fun and inexpensive target practice.

A few months back I decided to purchase a Les Baer custom SS slide from Brownells as well as all needed Baer parts to complete the slide, and bring the comp gun I loved for years back to life, this time with bomar sights and fibre optic FS. I used the same Centaur Barrel but replacing the blue comp with a stainless one. the Kit was shipped with one of each. This kit is unique in that it has a special link and slide stop which allows for shims to be installed in the slidestop to adjust for barrell lock up. You can literally lock it up so tight the slide will not come out of battery. At that point you start reducing the shim stock to a point where the barrel fits the slide so well that it feels solid as a rock and still functions.

Fitting the slide to the frame took some time, I am not a machinist and only used files and a Caliper to tackle the work.
    During the refit I also installed new fire control parts -sear, hammer and disconnector, from Cylinder and Slide as well as new springs throughout.
    The Comp barrel fit up well, and after getting it all together it seems to feed and eject well. I haven't fired it yet but hope to tomorrow.
    SS Baer slide on a Very hard well made Norinco Steel frame.
    I am happy to have an accurate and hopefully a reliable old friend to play with at local matches.

Please forgive the crappy Cell pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers. Kenny

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011

3. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    It will never be a looker or worth what I got in it, but it is a hellova shooter. And with 50 something YO eyes needing all the help they can get the FO FS seemed to be the way to go.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  4. ShootinSteel

ShootinSteel Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 7, 2012
    Looks good from here. Shoot it and have fun. SS

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted