Recoil difference between a compensated barrel and a flanged barrel

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by monadh, Feb 17, 2019.

1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Guys,

I did do a search but I might have missed the thread. Is there a recoil difference between a flanged barrel and a compensated barrel in .45? Do either make any difference whatsoever?

Sorry to sound like a pansy, but the reason why I have gone to 9mm instead of .45 is because my hands hurts from all of the stupid things I did in the past, but I have some .45s that I cannot bear to part with. I would appreciate your experiences.

Thanks.

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    In for the knowledge, been wanting to try a carry comp or flanged pistol myself!

3. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    I had a Nowlin "Carry Comp" on a Lightweight Commander (.45 ACP of course) that John Sr. put togther 30 yrs. ago.
    OAL was same as a 5" gun.
    In spite of the limited gas pressure, the comp did work fairly well.

I have a Wilson "Carry Comp", or whatever, that's an Officer sized frame gun. It's OK, the Nowlin was the better gun.

[​IMG]

ChuckC and monadh like this.
  4. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    A flanged barrel is just more weight up front, which may help some with muzzle flip.

A comp controls gas, which far better controls recoil.

For sure, the right style comp will give more recoil control.

monadh likes this.
  5. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Are these two options mutually exclusive? I would imagine doing both will give you the best reduction possible.

6. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Depending how you look at the two styles of comp's...I would say they are separate.

The thread-on style, sure, has some weight on the end of the barrel, but not really that much.

The build-in comps like STI and now NHC wouldn't really add weight as it is taking the place of some of the slide.

7. jmr986

jmr986 Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2016
    I know you asked about a .45, but I have a S&W 586 L comp in .357. I’ve shot it back to back with its larger N frame brother. IMHO the comp makes a difference, less recoil.

0EF30BA6-191F-4EC0-8F01-2E76EE75E283.jpeg

Perhaps a NHC Firehawk is in your future?

monadh and ChuckC like this.
  8. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Nah, I have a Kimber that I would like to get a compensated barrel for. Yes, the barrel would be about half the worth of the pistol, but the only option is to spend big bucks on something that is not a GI.

9. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I think it needs to be said. Comps and heavy barrels generally do not reduce recoil. They reduce perceived recoil and muzzle flip.

I have a good amount of comped and bull and coned barrels. Comps make a big difference, the bigger the comp the bigger the reduction in muzzle flip. Also using a powder that produces more gas makes the comp work more efficiently.

I have a 6” 10mm with a bull barrel that has been turned down to accept an EGW 5 chamber 7 port cone comp. It shoots laughably flat, almost like a 9mm powderpuff load, almost 22mag.

monadh likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted