1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dremel jockey
5,507 Posts
The above used springs.
Perhaps there would be value in a hydraulically (sp?LOL) dampened unit?

·
Dremel jockey
5,507 Posts
No.
The smaller diameter front rod is a spring loaded plunger.
It crashes into the front of the recoil spring plug and softens the crash of slide to frame.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
So, what is the purpose? I know this seems dumb to ask. I can’t see how this would slow the slide down without being a really stiff weight/spring rate. Commenting from a position of sheer ignorance again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
3,438 Posts
So, what is the purpose? I know this seems dumb to ask. I can’t see how this would slow the slide down without being a really stiff weight/spring rate. Commenting from a position of sheer ignorance again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The internal springs are quite heavy. The main issue is they put strain on the thin ears of the bushing since they impact the recoil spring plug on every shot.

These devices were developed in the 40's/50's for bullseye shooting and to help protect the frame a bit while shooting lots of cheap USGI hardball. That era also created the first extra-thick bushings! These units were popular until the late 70's. I have seen many a Pachmayr or Kings 1911 with one installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.