Recoil Spring Help Please

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by skipper49, Oct 23, 2018.

1. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Got a Wilson CQB Compact, (4”), with steel frame. It has a flatwire, 22 lb recoil spring that my arthritic hands are not particularly happy with.
    Anyone have a source for a little lighter one, 18-20 that will fit this pistol? Wonderful pistol, the problem here is with the operator (he’s old).
    Thanks for the help.
    Skip

WHEELS likes this.
  2. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    The compacts have heavy hammer springs, if recollection serves me right they are 25# springs. You could go to a 23# but not lower. If you manually cock the hammer and then rack it will be much easier. My Stealth and arthritis gives me a hard time, too. But as a carry gun I have just left it stock and just grunt sometimes when I rack it.:)

WHEELS likes this.

3. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Thanks. Sitting here with it right now, there’s not much difference with hammer cocked or not. This is the reason I’m
    (slowly) moving to 9mm 1911’s. I’ll use this one as long as I can, and then enjoy just owning it. Meantime, sure like to go lighter on recoil spring though. I agree on not going much lighter on mainspring.
    Thanks for the input.
    Skip

4. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Try this , make sure muzzle is pointed in safe direction ,then grasp top of slide firmly and push frame forward.

5. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Try a #20 might launch your brass a little farther, just don't run too hot loads.

6. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    That’s my present method. We old guys have to adapt.
    And I didn’t mean it was not doable, just trying to make things a little easier.

Skip

7. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Who makes a 20lb that’ll fit?

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Skip, stand tall ,easy is for young guys. !

9. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Laughed out loud on that one!

10. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Go with a 9mm. you will be a lot happier...

11. skipper49

skipper49 Member

Jul 4, 2018
    You are right. I already picked up a Ruger LW Commander and DW ECO in 9mm. Picking up a Nighthawk T4 tomorrow that I’ve been fondling for a few weeks. I can still manipulate the slide on it with just thumb and index finger from behind, with hammer down. I am stoked about it. Doesn’t hurt that it’s beautiful too!
    Skip

12. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I think an 18# spring will work......Brownells might have them ( Wolf, etc ).....

But I suggest you call Wilson tomorrow....discuss with them & see what they have or recommend. They probably have a flatwire spring that will work for you ( or you will have to change the guide rod too - if you go to conventional recoil springs - because they are a different internal diameter).

I have arthritis issues too....so I retired my CQB 5" in .45acp / and now shoot & carry a 5" Protector model in 9mm ....( in my 9mm, I use a 12.5# conventional spring )....

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted