Recoil spring questions for Tool-less guiderod for TRP

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Jerry Cherry Pie, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Jerry Cherry Pie

Jerry Cherry Pie New Member

Dec 28, 2018
    I have a fully loaded TRP, with bull barrel, full rail, the works. It's perfect except 1 thing, the stock guide rod. It is such a pain to take the guiderod out. I see Dawson Precision sells some tool-less guide rods, and they only recommend it working with the wolff springs on their site. But there's a lot of options to choose from, from 7 lb all the way to 18.5 lb. What does the pounds affect? What's stock, and do you have any recommendations?

Here's the page with the chart.
    ht tps://dawson precision.co m/re coil-firing-pin-springs-1911-government-size-by-wolff/

I can't post the link, something about anti spam. Is it because I have new account? You'll have to take the spaces out

And dang, just realized I posted this in new corner instead of Gear section. Noob mistake

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  2. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    16 is the factory spring for a TRP

3. 12VMan

12VMan Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I have a GI-style guide from Wilson and a standard plug with a 16# Wolff spring in my TRP and they seem to work just fine.

4. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I have the Dawson Precision tool-less guide rod in my TRP Operator (half rail, not the full rail). I’m using the stock Springfield spring that came with the weapon, about 4k flawless rounds down the pipe.

The note about using Wolff springs and not ISMI wasn’t there when I bought it 3 years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GhostRecon21

GhostRecon21 Member

Mar 7, 2014
    He has the bushingless bull barrel model. So that setup won’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sniper 217

Sniper 217 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I have a Dawson toolless guidrod I’d sell. I found 15lb progressive or 16lb Wolfe springs to work well for me.

7. r.masa

r.masa Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lots of variables here, but to answer the question it affects the cycling of the slide.
    If you reload, you will be able to match/tune the cycling of the slide by selecting a particular recoils spring (not as simple as it sounds). Why would you want to do this; its because each barrel has a preference to a certain projectile, once you find that projectile, you can work up a load and OAL for that particular barrel projectile match. Then you can tune the slide cycle by matching a spring to get that best possible shooting experience for that pistol. This would only work if you reload, if you shoot factory ammo (still possible to match if you shoot the same ammo all the time), or using as an EDC or self defense, then you would probably forgo the shooting experience for reliability.

8. Jerry Cherry Pie

Jerry Cherry Pie New Member

Dec 28, 2018
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Sorry I already ordered one. I've been eyeing this thing for almost 2 years and got tired of procrastinating.

Sniper 217 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted