Recoil spring

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Outlaw450, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Outlaw450

Outlaw450 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    So I was trying to get a friend away from glocks and into 1911s. He wanted to learn how to field strip a 1911 so I showed him a few times then let him try. He turned the bushing the wrong way, let it shoot across the room and some how the recoild spring got bent in the process so I'm getting ready to order a new spring and some other goodies from midway. I'v been getting some powder in the face wile shooting and heard a heavier spring will help this but how much heavier should I go? Thanks.

2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I wouldn't do that.. Stay with the standard weights, unless other factors come into play.. JMO.. Ron

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    A 16# spring is normal in most .45 1911s. If you want heavier try a 18# spring. Never heard of that before though.

4. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    I was shooting some JHP 230 gr +P's and had a few bent cartridges ejected. Range Ofcr said use a heavier recoil spring. I don't intend to keep shooting 230 gr +P's so I think the stock spring is fine. As long as the spent cartridges are being ejected perhaps the power is from another issue(?).

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Target 14# +p 18.5# standard load 16# for me

6. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Factory or reloads? If you're loading, then what's your load?
    I use an 18.5# spring in my defensive gun. It will still cycle 200gr. cast SWC's over 4.2gr. Bullseye, they run around 800 fps.

This also sounds odd. Those bullets have long left that barrel prior to that action cycling. You shouldn't get anything blowing back in your face. Maybe one of the 'smiths will chime in.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  7. Outlaw450

Outlaw450 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Ok i'll stick with the 16#. Shooting wwb, a friends springer was doing the same thing so maybe it was just the ammo.

8. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I use an 18# recoil spring in my gun, and a 23# mainspring. Mostly duty ammo through it.

Andy

9. SatCong

SatCong Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    If you shoot alot,get more then one spring, need one for backup.

10. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    The recoil spring issue has nothing to do with powder particles hitting your face. The bullet is way downrange, before the casing extracts from the chamber. Sometimes very light target loads, don't seal the chamber enough. Escaping gases then shoots back out through the ejector cutout in the slide. Always use safety glasses.

Recoil springs last much longer than most folks would think. A brand new recoil spring initially shrinks and takes it's new setting. After this, it'll last at least 20-30K rounds. And should a 18# spring, become slightly weaker like 16# over time...so what. That's just like many others are using already. The mainspring has a big influence on the slidespeed too. One thing often overlooked when talking springs in the 1911.

11. jblackfish

jblackfish Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I agree that you should stay with the 16# spring - that's not your "powder in the face" problem and as long as the gun cycles properly with that spring, stay with that one.

12. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Herer's the theoretical way to find the right # on your recoil spring.
    If not changing between light target and heavy loads, but staying within the same power floor, then put in a heavy spring and test it this way!

Using a quality reliable magazine, shoot the gun holding it extremely loose in your hand. If it goes to slide lock, then put in a heavier spring. Continue until the gun won't go to slide lock. Then back off f.ie. 2# and re-test using the same technique a couple of times.

This way you "preserve" your expensive gun, and it won't shoot itself to death too fast. Another sign of weak recoil springs, would be shok-buf's being chewed up a way too fast. If a quality shok-buf wont last around 3 to 5 K rounds in a full size 1911, something is wrong.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted