Recoil Spring

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by farnorth, Mar 30, 2019.

1. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Went to swap out the recoil spring in my NHC and pulled out an old Wilson spring caddy kit I had tucked away for government slide length. Pulled the 17#, but noticed the 18 1/2# spring was shorter.

I know this is a shot in the dark and shouldn't make that great of a difference in weights(don't plan on shooting any plus p). But is there a chance the springs made it into the wrong slots from the factory? Or am I looking at this wrong here. I'm guessing spring weight has less to do with total length as does compression length?

The order in which they were labeled is that the 17# was the longest of the three. If it has more to do with compression length than total length, what gives with the differences in total length?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    [​IMG]

Cannot remember where I got this, but from a good source

3. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Calipers to measure space between coils?

4. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Measure the coil itself. I believe Chuck Rogers did the write up for springs but am not sure.

Kip likes this.
  5. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    So the longer coil is the heavier spring?

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    The thickness of the wire is what you measure. Thicker = heavier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrmiller, gun_fan111 and Kip like this.
  7. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I got into the habit of measuring springs a long time ago. Like when I'd find one on my bench or in my shooting bag and no package to tell me what poundage it was.

So 45 thou is a 16# spring and I just extrapolate from there, based on wire thickness. :)

gaijin and ChuckC like this.
  8. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    45 for your 45, awesome!

wrmiller and ChuckC like this.
  9. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Picked up a caliper from the local hardware store and now all is clear. Thanks guys.

wrmiller likes this.
  10. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Joe Chambers recommendation is to use Springco springs. He says they retain more accuracy over longer time and usage. Also they are color coded so as to not confuse the lb ratings. I recently installed the Springco spring in my 9x23 win Colt. I must say a big improvement.

1911fanatic likes this.
  11. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Yep. I’ve switched over to sprinco springs. I like them much better than Wolff. I do have a Wolff hammer spring in my 1911 right now. I don’t think those are available from sprinco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted