Recoil springs

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by acesover, Apr 26, 2019.

1. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    I have 3 recoil springs for my Series 70. Two of them don't seem to work well with my reloads and the third one works really well. The problem is that I do not know what the spring rating is for any of the springs. I assume that the one that works is a lower power, but , I have no way of knowing for sure.
    I was thinking about ordering a wolff calibration spring kit, and was wondering which kit I should try first? And I see that they come with what I believe are firing pin springs? Or are they for the MSH?

The two springs that do not work well cause FTE's and stovepipes. Anyway, thanks for any insight!

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    They're firing pin springs.

As to your other questions, someone else will have to answer those.

3. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    What size 1911 ? What loads are you using ie powder / charge / bullet / crimp ? Does gun have a small radius firing pin stop ? Too many variables without more info . Standard weight springs for a 5" Gov't size 1911 in 45acp with open sights are 23lb mainspring , 16lb recoil spring . Yes the Wolff recoil springs come with a firing pin spring . Commander , Officers & other calibers use different rate springs .

4. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    In order to accurately find spring poundage, please see page 907152 of your TTT gunsmithing catalog !
    The spring testing kit is designed to easily aid you in determining the correct weight spring to use .
    Simply insert spring into tester , jump ,and note the number on the
    Super accurate side plate.

33EF11D9-7210-4FDE-B68B-74FC9CD709B3.jpeg
    Send CASH and signed liability statement to your friends at TTT.

rmac, WC145, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  5. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    I just talked to wolfe on the phone to replace springs that I have no idea what lb they are. Measure the OD, thickness of the wire with a mic and count the coils and he can tell you what lb it is.

41 Charlie likes this.
  6. acesover

Dec 26, 2018
    Govt Model, completely stock, don't know about the small radius FPS, using 200gr Falcon SWC lead bullet, 4gr Red Dot, no crimp. And thanks for the help! Well except for TAC45, he worries me.....LOL

rmac, Mike Meints and unclebuck5 like this.
  7. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    For a stock 5" Gov't model 23lb main or hammer spring & 16lb recoil spring are stock . Hammer spring you can go as low as 19lb without issue . Your load is pretty much a standard mid range target load & should function with stock springs . I would tighten your crimp to .369 taper crimp . Any local gun store / range / gun smith should have new springs in stock , might have to look a bit . If you mainly shoot target loads I'd also get & install a 19lb mainspring as it'll help functioning with lighter loads . A small radius firing pin stop is used for guns that will only shoot full power loads . It allows the gun to stay locked & slows rearward slide momentum . All this happens very quickly . Not needed or desired for target loads . A reduced power 19lb mainspring will not reduce guns ability to shoot full power loads either , felt recoil might be increased but not enough to worry about . The recoil spring does get compressed as slide moves to the rear , but it's real function is to return slide to battery . You generally want it to be strong enough to do so , for slide not to outrun mags ability to feed the next round & for slide to lock back on an empty magazine . If recoil spring is too strong it will cause all kinds of feed problems & jamming . If you'd like PM me & I'll send you my cell # & we can discuss this .

rmac, unclebuck5 and Mike Meints like this.
  8. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Boatbum101 likes this.
  9. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Go to Brownells or Wolff and get a 23lb mainspring and 16lb recoil springs.

Then purchase an L.E.Wilson .45 case gauge

I would and do crimp .45 Auto to .470, not .369

10. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Senior moment...........mea culpa

11. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Recoil Spring Diameter for 5" Full size.

20lb spring wire diameter is .048
    18.5lb " " is .047
    16lb " " is .045
    14lb " " is .043
    12lb " " is .042

41 Charlie, dstallguy, rmac and 3 others like this.
  12. acesover

Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks Walleye! Good info!

13. acesover

Dec 26, 2018
    Ordered a Wolff calibration spring kit for reduced power loads, as I shoot a fairly light load in my 1911. Will see how it functions, and at least I will know what pound springs I am using.

14. acesover

Dec 26, 2018
    Ok, got the spring kit, but there are 3 firing pin springs included that are supposed to be "extra power" FP springs. Is there a need for the extra power FP springs when using lighter recoil springs?

15. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

Mar 10, 2017
    I've read the extra power firing pin springs lessen the risk of a slam fire when using heavier than standard recoil springs that cause the slide to return to battery more forcefully.
    The extra power FP spring also resists an inertia fire if a gun with out a firing pin safety is dropped on it's muzzle, and
    can mitigate the possibility of a loose fitting firing pin stop dropping down while firing.
    Pedro.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  16. acesover

Dec 26, 2018
  17. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I'd just put a 16lb recoil spring and 23lb hammer spring in it and run it and see what happens. That way you have a known spring weight for a starting point and you can work out any issues from there.

41 Charlie likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted