Recommend a die set

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by too_pure, Feb 29, 2012.

1. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I'll begin hand loading .257 WBY MAG as soon as I have the equipment. I can get 1.5" groups with factory ammo. I believe the gun to be capable of more, but there's the "me" element... Pretty new at rifle shooting.

So I think 200.00 dies are overkill for me at this point. I'll evolve but for now I'm looking at recommendations for a solid, decent die set.

Also looking for a recommendation on a decent hand primer and brass trimmer.

2. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    RCBS hand priming tool and LE Wilson case trimmer are what I use.

If you don't want to spend the $$ on competition dies then I would buy Redding's body die, neck sizer with removable bushings and their seater. There's a technique you can use to help produce concentric bullet seating with standard seaters. Partially seat the bullet then turn the case 1/4-1/3 around and continue partially seating. Do this 3-4 times to fully seat the bullet. I've found by employing that method that less runout was achieved.

You really need to see how close can you get the bullets to the rifling. What kind of rifle is it?

3. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    It's a Vanguard.

4. Steve B

Nov 29, 2011
    You won't be able to get the bullets anywhere near the rifling due to the freebore Weatherby has built into those chambers. So, any die set would work just fine.

5. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I read that the reasoning for that was so hand loaders could use a longer OAL for bigger powder volumes without touching the rifling.

6. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Pretty much any set of dies will work. Redding and Forster are EXCELLENT dies and well worth the money. I doubt Dillon makes a set of dies for you, but they are also one of the best. If Lee makes the dies, they should work fine too, although a lot of Lee quality control is iffy at best.

As far as a longer OAL, you can only load out to the box length if you want a repeater, and that will not get you any where near the rifling on a Weatherby.

7. Steve B

Nov 29, 2011
    The freebore helped to enhance velocity at the expense of accuracy. I had a Weatherby Dlx in 300 Wby Mag that was rebarreled to meet my expectations. That rifle was incredible. It could, with new barrel, push 200 gr. Partitions at 3100 fps safely with incredible accuracy.

8. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Partly true. Some bullets perform better when they are seated closer to the lands, some perform better seated to specs. The overall cartridge length for the 257 Weatherby is 3.250 inches. This is measured from case base to bullet tip.

There is another measurement to be aware of. That is the measurement of the case base to the shoulder, or tanget of the particular bullet you are loading. The tanget (curve of the bullet) is what will contact the rifling of the barrel first. These attach to your calipers and will give you that measurement. Once a decent load is found, the adjustment of bullet seating depth may improve the accuracy even more.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/c...P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=seating_depth

I was recently working with a different powder with no solid load data for what bullets I wanted to use (Berger VLD 115 gr .257) for my 257 Roberts. I went from starting loads to max, and over max (depending on whose book) for 117 gr. powder wise, but not pressure wise. When I found a good accuracy spot, I adjusted seating depth for accuracy. It was sub 1/2", I'm still not finished working with that particular powder/bullet combination, but I'm getting low on Berger bullets and am moving to another rifle/caliber to play with for awhile.

My cartridge overall length is about 3.010 inches, the SAAMI spec for the 257 Roberts is 2.780 inches. I single load.

Some good reading here:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

9. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I'm looking at the LE Wilson case trimmer. There are some unfavorable reviews of the deburring/chamfer attachment. Anybody use it? If you use the LE Wilson trimmer, what do you use for chamfering?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted