1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any recommendations for an engraver who can do the full package deal; ornate filigree, initials in monogram, etc? I've seen some beautifully engraved 1911s on the forum, so I figure I'd ask here. Having said that, it's not for a 1911, but for a Lie Nielsen hand-plane I plan on giving my son for his 10th birthday.

Much obliged for any recommendations. Would also be glad to see some pictures and/or learn the correct terminology for what I want done.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not sure where you are or how intricate you are wanting to go on a wood plane, but House of Blades here in Ft. Worth offers simple and I'm sure it's laser engraving, at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the sort of work I am looking for, Slam. Will have to see what his wait-list and pricing are like. I'm looking for something with some depth and contrast, and while I know the laser can handle fairly complicated design, I don't know how deep it can go. Would like something hand-worked, just because I am trying to connect my son to a legacy of hard work and craftsmanship.

For further context, price is an object in the sense that I am not willing to spend $10k on a fabulous work of art on the side of a $400 hand-tool I still hope will be used regularly, but I won't balk at several hundred dollars, either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you would consider laser-engraving I had a 1911 done with “We The People” on one slide and “In God We Trust” on the other. It looks Amazing! Try Fusion Firearms for a reasonable quote with very short waiting period.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
This sounds like a phenomenal gift with a lot behind it. I'm really excited to see the finished product. Sure that it will be cherished for generations. Very cool.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts
I might recommend David Clevinger -- but I know he is pretty booked up these days.

http://www.dcengraving.com/gallery
Another vote for David here. Terrific engraver and gunsmith, and a great guy to work with.

If you would consider laser-engraving I had a 1911 done with “We The People” on one slide and “In God We Trust” on the other. It looks Amazing! Try Fusion Firearms for a reasonable quote with very short waiting period.
A laser engraver ruined the slide on a custom Colt I was having built for my son. I don't know that I could trust one with an irreplaceable heirloom.

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,199 Posts
Reactions: FWoo45 and TomaHawk

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,234 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark's work is very impressive. Appreciate the link. I might try to reach out to him and David tomorrow, and see if either of them could take it on in the next six months.

For reference, this is what I am looking to get engraved:
https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products/no-4-smooth-plane?path=bench-planes&node=4065

Those broad flat sides strike me as a good canvas, and I'd like to get the lever cap done up ornately with my son's monogrammed initials. Figure it will be something he might look back on when he's 50, and still feel connected to his father, grandfather, and great grandfather. In addition to the pile of guns, of course.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts