1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Recommend me carry/duty quality 120mm 2011 10mm magazines…?

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Descartian 
#1 ·
I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on a JEM or Cheely frame and parts to build a carry-oriented 10mm compact… think “10mm VIP/C2”, except with more fireballs and BDE.

My hangup is mags. Who makes quality reliable 10mm VIP/120mm length magazines? Im having trouble pinning that down. I’m pretty sure “.40s&w” 2011 mags are usable too.

I just don’t want to dump $2k+ into a build only to have to be constantly fighting magazines … I’d rather build a 10mm commander or CCO single stack 1911 instead of going to a full length grip on the 2011.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I was thinking something more along the lines of a round butt Extreme Shooters VIP Tactical grip ($300) or picking up a used C2 take-off grip… but wow… that SV carry grip is hot sh!t. It’s actually a “officer” grip length. The C2/120mm grip lengths are much closer to a flush fit government frame. But $1000 for a steel grip and two 10-round mags is 🤮.

I hate you for even showing me that… because now in the end I know I’m going to end up getting it. :cry:

But hey, it comes with the mainspring housing, sear spring, grip pins, trigger and mag release … so that’s nice, right?

Forehead Nose Chin Eyebrow Mouth

#5 ·
In all fairness, I remember quite a few threads on Enos forums about SV aluminum grips cracking on major guns. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of a steel one cracking, but I would have selected steel regardless because melonite beats the pants off of anodized/cerakote aluminum.

#11 ·
“Major Power factor ammo” LOL.
Good 10mm is like 230+ PF … no aluminum grip can probably deal with that long term.

I found a good deal on a Chen SI Officer Magwell in the classifieds, so this build is going to be an officer 1911.
Hot 10mm out of an officer frame 1911?
That does not sound like a fun gun to shoot at the range. Will definitely stop a two-legged animal. But I’m not seeing a lot of range time with that.
I fired 90 rounds of SD equivalent 10mm in one day. The web of my strong hand was sore for two days. And that was out of a full-size 2011. YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.