Recommend recoil spring weights question

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by JD31, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JD31

JD31 Active Member

May 30, 2018
    Have a question, what is the factory standard recoil spring weight for a 5’ springer TRP and a Colt 4.25’ Commander? I’ve checked several sites and the recommendations for recoil spring weights are all over the place, I want to replace mine on both guns but want to keep it stock since they both run well from the factory.

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    This is what I use, and I change out recoil springs at 2000 rounds and use factory and hand loaded .45 Auto ammunition at standard velocity/pressure.

In my Baer TRS and Colt's Government Model, I use 16lb springs with no issues

In my Baer Stinger and Colt's Combat Commander, I use 18lb recoil springs with no issues

All of the pistols use a 23lb mainspring

The Baers come with different weights than I use, the weights in the Colts are standard

Kip likes this.

3. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    El P. has the right idea. To answer your question, though, your TRP comes with an 18.5# recoil spring and the Colt should have the standard 18# Commander spring. The mainspring weight has far more to do with handling recoil than the recoil spring does. 23# mainsprings are advisable on all 45 ACP pistols as a starting point. Most manufacturers have deviated from that because the perception is lighter mainspring equals better trigger. This is really not the case though and jeopardizes reliability in the process. Some guys step down to a 17 or 18 pound mainspring in hopes that they'll lower their trigger pull substantially. The unintended consequence is that the slide unlocks far too quickly and the slide goes too fast. This can lead to all sorts of maladies.

FWoo45, Capthobo, 1911fanatic and 8 others like this.
  4. JD31

JD31 Active Member

May 30, 2018
    If I would use 16# on the TRP would that benefit anything or cause malfunction?

5. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    It will slow down how quickly the slide returns to battery and possible can start to introduce malfunction if the disco imparts to much of a “bump” on the slide also the top round or mag follower is pushing on the disco rail of the slide.

Kip likes this.
  6. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    With a 23 pound mainspring all should be kosher. 16 pound recoil springs are what the gun was designed to run with. As long as the gun is healthy, that combo is fantastic.

7. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    OP, thanks for posting this question. @Alchemy, thanks for explaining this. My valor is still throwing brass 8-10 feet with an 18lb recoil spring and still has the stock hammer spring. I’m going to try the 23/16 combo. The gun runs, just throws brass into the next county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikemac likes this.
  8. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    The brass will go further if you decrease the recoil spring.

1911fanatic and walleyemonster like this.
  9. JD31

JD31 Active Member

May 30, 2018
  10. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

Nov 4, 2011
    Not necessarily.

As I have said before, the mainspring has far more to do with controlling initial recoil impulse and slide inertia than the recoil spring. If his DW has a 20# mainspring and an 18# recoil spring and he switches to a 23# mainspring w/16 pound recoil spring he will most definitely see a reduced distance of ejection.

samuse, FWoo45, gaijin and 2 others like this.
  11. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    Ordered the 16/23 combo this morning.

12. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    A recoil spring, could be more accurately called a "return to battery" spring.
    :)

13. 1911fanatic

Nov 27, 2011
    Update: just got and installed my 23lb mainspring/16lb recoil spring. The hammer is noticeably more difficult to cock, still has complete range of motion. Trigger is ever so slightly heavier, but in no way bad. Hoping the weather breaks, so I can test the ejection pattern.

samuse and wrmiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted