1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 1911s and revolvers for handguns right now. I'd like to look into something that I could keep as a nightstand piece and also use to explore some match shooting in the popular divisions. The choices are dizzying, so I wondered if people had some favorites.

Required:
9mm or .40
Full size (4" barrel +)
Rail for a light
No polygonal rifling - I'm going to shoot lead reloads.
Available parts, mags, holsters etc. Not looking for a unicorn.
Appropriate for USPSA. Not the best necessarily, but appropriate. If it's 9mm it should be legal for production. If .40, it should have magazines available with enough capacity or be legal for production.

Preferred but not deal breakers:
Hammer fired
Safety (vs. decock only)
Metal frame
Slight preference for .40 as other people I shoot with have .40s and I could split some reloading costs with them.
Available at a reasonable price, like <1k, used is more than fine.

I'm aware that an M&P would fit the bill. So would various CZ models though the 'nice' ones are pricey. FNX is also on my radar but I have no experience with them or know anyone who does. What else do people like?

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,123 Posts
Reactions: Dub and AJP

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
CZ p-10 are nice too, but the 75 variants are great if you are looking for DA/SA.

Edit: read the OP again, p-10 does not have a thumb safety of course. M&P would be my choice in that case. Not sure what it’s legal for but this is a nice pistol and from what I understand safety could be purchased and added on.

View attachment 707188

Anybody knows if m&p safety works with aftermarket triggers?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
CZs are just flat out shooters. Inexpensive to get into and upgrading is simple.
Jeff

·
Registered
401 Posts
I only have 2 double stacks, a 92FS and a G19. I wouldn't recommend either for a nightstand gun. The G19 has no safety, the FS92 had a backward safety that was easily engaged during a reload(it's now a decocker only}. My bedroom gun is a 5 shot Rossi snubnose, 642 in the living room. I guess I could use the FS92 if I had to. It's a great range gun tho not as good as a 1911.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Why not shoot lead reloads from a polygonal barrel? As long as you clean your gun after the range you are good to go and it would take more than a few mags through for there to be lead fouling. That brings us back to clean your gun after use. Now with that info, your choices expand greatly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a lot of conflicting info out there on the polygonal rifling issue, particularly with Glocks. I see that people do it, but I just don't think I want to mess with it unless there's a real compelling reason.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I saw your remark in the glocks had an issue, and I saw that as well. Since I run HKs I checked with those guys and none of them had any problems. The Snob in me says don't lump me in with those glocks.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dub and FWoo45

·
Registered
478 Posts
You can't go wrong with the HKs. If you like a hammer they got you covered in their USP series. The USP was designed for the .40 so no issues there either. 9, .40, or .45 in all sizes too. Comp, regular, tact, expert, and elite.

Reactions: Roehl

·
Registered
306 Posts
For a striker platform, the modularity of the p320/m17/m18/x-carry/x-compact platform gives you plenty of options to tweak your way into the right size and feature set for your application...and then swap a slide for match day, etc. For instance I have a X-Carry, that normally rides on a X-Compact grip with TLR-7 and appendix holster. For range/match day, trigger group sometimes goes back to the full size grip with weight insert and a 4.7" full size slide that has Dawson sights...so it's almost an X5.

CZ is another great rabbit hole. I had a Shadow Target II this time last year, and still have a CZ75 that has been lightly modified. If I had found the right P-01 at the right time and right price, CZ would probably be my carry/range/match lineup, with all the subsequent dumping of funds into holsters, mags, fcg parts, sights, grips, etc. Some of the CZ variants come in 40 (75, perhaps SP-01 and rare P-01?) but I don't think I've noticed a shadow model in 40.

It also seems like a 40 BHP would also fit your wants and needs, except you'd be shooting Limited rather than production.

A sig plus some parts, a 40 BHP, or a SP-01 Shadow should all be right around your budget. All of the above keep you in pretty similar grip angle territory to 1911s. Depends on how bad you want to be distracted from 1911s...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Have no idea what they may be selling for used and it seems like it's a little above your price point, but if you're looking you should consider the CZ-DWX...........here's a link.
TR

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of CZ recommendations. I see lots of shadow 2 and some SP-01s out there, not many shadow 1 - and they're more than the 2 for some reason. Should I just stick with the standard SP-01 as the least expensive option to see how I like it, or are the shadows that much better?

I'm interested in the USP also. For people that have one, if you ride the safety is there a chance that it could unintentionally de-cock? I'm not clear how that combined lever operates. Is the grip as large as advertised? I have med-small hands, can't really run an N frame so that could be an issue. What makes it better SHTF that anything else? I've read that it has a bit of a high bore axis and the recoil system isn't as fast as others so it's not used much to compete, but that's not necessarily an issue at this point.

Unfortunately I can't find any of these at a LGS near me to handle.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Shadow models drop the firing pin block, which is a noticeable sequence in trigger takeup. As such, the shadow variants will always have a better trigger. You'll notice they lack the roll pin in the middle of the rear cocking serrations, because that's what that's for. Because they don't have the block, they'll always be safety and not decocker configuration. It's splitting hairs if you're comparing to a striker gun, but if you're comparing to a good 1911, you'll notice the FPB mechanics.

Even my 75b, which is something silly like 7.5# DA, 3.2# SA (a stock gun except for a few springs, pins, and sights changed) has tangible hitch in the takeup as the firing pin block plunger gets pushed up. I had a Shadow Target II (which is not a shadow II). Dexpite being a CZ Custom shop gun, had a slightly heavier trigger than my 75b...but was far more linear on takeup for that reason.

That roll pin is regarded as a weakness in the CZ system. If you dry fire enough, the firing pin will dent the roll pin enough that you can't take it out. For the serious shooter, either get a shadow variant, or swap that pin for a CZC or CGW upgraded pin.

The CZ lineup is dizzying. The "Shadow 1" pistols are usually seen in three variants, all based on the SP-01, which is a 75 with the added full dust cover / rail.

1) SP-01 Shadow - This is a SP-01 (full rail) gun with the upgraded "no firing pin block" slide. Fixed sights. These were ~$850 guns new.
2) SP-01 Shadow Target I and II - these are custom shop upgraded variants of the above. Adjustable target sights. These were $1200 guns in safe queen used condition.
3) Bull Shadow, Accu Shadow, etc. These are variants that have had bull barrel/bushing mods, done to the above. These were $1500+.

The Shadow 2 is a bigger, longer gun than the SP-01. I don't think it has much in the way of parts in common with the 75 or SP-01, including grips. IT also has the custom shop bull/accu variants, but I think the base gun is ~$1000.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
HK USP is a great gun that will eat anything, accurate, and stupid reliable. They are robust and they feel close to a 1911 when shooting them as far as ergonomics go. I have the V1 with with safety/decocker and it functions great. Learned on one and when I got into 1911/2011 the transition was easy. I suspect the other way is true as well. A great great weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
For what it’s worth the CZ’s, while great guns have significantly more muzzle flip/climb then a 2011. I’ve been shooting competitively for almost a decade and have “back to back” tested many a gun. The reigning champion of least recoil is a 1911 in 9mm or an aluminum (NOT polymer) grip 2011.

My advice, grab the M&P. Drop in a nice trigger and sights...and you’re more then ready to compete. Master that platform, get some matches under your belt, and when your consistently winning or placing top 5 in your club level matches, then you’ll be able to nitpick the various options and know exactly which gun you prefer.

·
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
2,939 Posts
A CZ 10mm double stack with an extended mag! Umm, sorry. I was daydreaming...

Reactions: 1L26
1 - 20 of 36 Posts