Recommendations for second build

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by paid4c4, Feb 2, 2012.

1. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    I've almost completed my first build, just waiting for engraving and armor tuff. I'm think about a second build and I'd like to try something different than the WC frame/slide kit. Does anyone have any comments regarding: http://www.fusionfirearms.com/menu/1911_kits.htm#Hunter Tactical Elite
    Their kits looks nice and are priced within reason, has anybody built one? Any comments on their 10MM kits?
    Any other frame/slide kit recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Member

Sep 16, 2011
    I built one of their kits in .45. I bought it with the frame, slide and barrel already fitted so the hard lifting was done. The quality of the parts was good in my opinion. My only problem is I don't like the barrel fitting. I didn't know enough at the time but the barrel can move downward with a thumb push. Not much but it's there. Accuracy is good though. Since it was my first build and it was Ion-Bonded I don't want to redo anything.

I am presently working on a Wilson frame/slide kit. There is far more work to do on the Wilson and I think the frame and slide are a bit nicer. I don't like the front serrations but I don't hate them either. I fit my own Kart barrel and everything is much tighter and has less play than the Fusion build.

With nothing against Fusion I would say building one of their kits would be a step backward if you've already done the Wilson. With the Fusion kit it's more of an assembly job, with some fitting of the smaller parts, instead of a real build.

I hope that helps. personally I'd rather start with another Wilson if I were doing a third build although the 10mm might be a problem. You'd have to ask Wilson if it's feasible with their parts.

BTW my avatar is my Fusion build.

3. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    Jerry thanks for the quick response and information. I've been very happy with the Wilson frame/slide kit. The Wilson kit took some fitting, filing and sanding but I learned a lot and got a better fit IMHO. The Fusion kits are just an alternative to another WC kit. I'm also looking at the WC kit as sold by Brownell's which comes with a barrel and both sight cuts. I'm just looking for build options.
    Thanks,
    Bill

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Look into a Remsport slide/frame set.

5. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011
    From what I've seen of the Remsport sets I'd try one especially at the last price I saw listed. I'm going to call John tomorrow and see what he has available, thanks for the lead.
    Bill

6. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  7. paid4c4

Sep 26, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted