Red Dot for 1911

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Berryhill, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jeff Berryhill

Jeff Berryhill Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Hello all! I’m new to this forum and never heard of it until my brother-in-law introduced me to it the other night. Lots of good info on here. I have 6 1911 pistols now and I got one I would like to put a red dot on. It’s an old Auto Ordinance US Army .45 great shooting accurate old pistol that I can’t even imagine how many rounds have been shot threw it with out a hiccup. The gun just has old iron sights on it and I would like to replace it with a red dot but I’m not sure how you would mount it? I would think you would have to send it to a smith and have some machine work done to it or does it slide into the slot of the rear sight? Idk. Also what brand of red dot would you refer? I don’t need anything expensive but don’t want something that is going to break after a couple hundred rounds.

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    All of the 1911's I've seen with an RDS have had either a customized slide or the RDS was frame mounted (which requires frame modification).

Jeff Berryhill likes this.

3. Jeff Berryhill

Jeff Berryhill Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I kinda figured that but was not sure. I have never had a red dot before. What kind of red dot do you think work best PewPew?

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I'm going to have to leave that question for the greater 1911Addicts community, as I don't use a RDS.

5. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Gary1911A1 likes this.
  6. Jeff Berryhill

Jeff Berryhill Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Thanks PewPew

7. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    The Trijicon RMR is currently the standard for MRDS, and what I would recommend. I’ve had good experiences with the dual illumination and led varieties. I can’t comment on any other RDS models though as I have only used the trijicon

8. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Jeff:
    Here's my opinion that's worth what you paid for it........lol
    The various Red Dot Sights are all getting better and some newer ones have some features others don't. Do your research before you buy. Trijicon are great (and what I use) but new Vortex's have a feature where you don't have to remove the sight from it's base to change batteries. Batteries don't need changing that often but there you go....
    Another thing to consider is mounting. RDS's are a learning curve to say the least and the lower they are to your normal sight height, the better (IMHO). Learning to "pick-up" the dot is easier to learn if you have co-witness sights. Look at regular sights, then see dot, then break the shot. After a while you see the dot right away and your good to go.
    I'm sure you'll get more advice and probably from folks smarter than me. Hope this helps some.

TR

Jeff Berryhill and ChuckC like this.
  9. Jeff Berryhill

Jeff Berryhill Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Thanks all who replied! I have been having trouble re-posting to all of your replies. I value each and everyone of your opinions. I tried to reply to each one of you but something wasn’t working correctly?? I just purchased a Burris FF2 brand new unopened box with picatinny mount for $130.00 cheaper than what I could get the FF3 for. Battery life is 15-20,000 hours? I don’t think I went wrong. Will see! I think it will be ok for the old 1911 i going to mount it on. If I like it I may try the Trijicon. Again I thank each one of you for your input!

Kip likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted