1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,518 Posts
If you are going to have the slide cut by NHC for an optic mount, it's either the Trijcon RMR, Trijicon SRO, or the Holosun 507c. Im thinking of having them do the skide of my DW PM9. I wasn't wanting to go that much money as a DPP or RMR. However I've seen the Holosun on sale at Brownells for $260.

·
Failed all therapy
3,160 Posts
Upon hearing your thoughts on the optics, I picked up a 507c
Still need to get some trigger time. Have a poly gun with two slides, Trijicon on one, Holosun on the other.
Yep. I have the RMR on my NightFighter in .38 super and the Holosun on my NightFighter in 9mm. Shooting them side by side will definitely tell you which on is right for you.

·
3,518 Posts
Yep. I have the RMR on my NightFighter in .38 super and the Holosun on my NightFighter in 9mm. Shooting them side by side will definitely tell you which on is right for you.
I likely won’t have the opportunity to shoot both side by side. I’d be interested in your experienced opinion , SC. What is your personal preference?

·
Failed all therapy
3,160 Posts
I likely won’t have the opportunity to shoot both side by side. I’d be interested in your experienced opinion , SC. What is your personal preference?
I have guns with the RMR, Holosun 507c, Delta Point Pro and the Sig Romeo.

The RMR is the traditional gold standard for the MRDS. Durable and reliable. The window is a bit smaller than the others and has a concave appearance. Mine is the 1moa dot size. It is not as easy for me to pickup on presentation.

The Holosun 507c I have mounted on 5 different guns (2 CZs, a 2019 and 2 1911s). That kind of tells you my preference. It is less pricey than the RMR, the window is bigger and the dot is definitely easier (to my eye) to pick up on initial presentation. I have just short of 7,000 rounds on one of them without any problems. It also has different reticle choices: Dot, circle and dot in the circle (think EOTech).

The Delta Point I have on 2 guns. One slide mounted (Sig M17) and one frame mounted (2011 open gun). The window size is large and the dot is easy to pick up. It seems a bit flimsier than the first 2 options.

The Sig Romeo I had on the p320 X5 that I recently sold. The Sig is not cheap, but feels cheaply built. I had the most difficulty picking the dot up on it, as well. It is definitely my last choice of the 4.

I have a vortex Venom on a suppressed Ruger 22/45, but don’t think it is robust enough for lots of rounds. Just my opinion, mind you.

·
3,518 Posts
I have guns with the RMR, Holosun 507c, Delta Point Pro and the Sig Romeo.

The RMR is the traditional gold standard for the MRDS. Durable and reliable. The window is a bit smaller than the others and has a concave appearance. Mine is the 1moa dot size. It is not as easy for me to pickup on presentation.

The Holosun 507c I have mounted on 5 different guns (2 CZs, a 2019 and 2 1911s). That kind of tells you my preference. It is less pricey than the RMR, the window is bigger and the dot is definitely easier (to my eye) to pick up on initial presentation. I have just short of 7,000 rounds on one of them without any problems. It also has different reticle choices: Dot, circle and dot in the circle (think EOTech).

The Delta Point I have on 2 guns. One slide mounted (Sig M17) and one frame mounted (2011 open gun). The window size is large and the dot is easy to pick up. It seems a bit flimsier than the first 2 options.

The Sig Romeo I had on the p320 X5 that I recently sold. The Sig is not cheap, but feels cheaply built. I had the most difficulty picking the dot up on it, as well. It is definitely my last choice of the 4.

I have a vortex Venom on a suppressed Ruger 22/45, but don’t think it is robust enough for lots of rounds. Just my opinion, mind you.
Opinions matter! Thank you for sharing yours.

I just started shooting a vortex venom on my browning buckmark. My hands tremor and I had a lot of trouble with it bouncing too much. After about 700 rounds I figured some things out and now I want all my target guns to have a red dot.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I’ve only looked at the Holosun online. Is it a higher overall than the RMR as I will not be getting my slide milled, just a Novak adapter. I won’t be relying on my sights unless I remove the optic.

·
Registered
614 Posts
So I’ve only looked at the Holosun online. Is it a higher overall than the RMR as I will not be getting my slide milled, just a Novak adapter. I won’t be relying on my sights unless I remove the optic.
Personally, optics mounted to a plate installed in the Novak dovetail is just way too high for me. Very unnatural and unbalanced when bringing up to presentation. Just something to think about even though it is the cheaper option.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Have a 508t on a slide. Seems well built for the $. I personally like the circle dot but I'm coming from an Eotech background. Not really sure that the circle is of importance on a handgun. Nice for shooting close with a 100y zero on a rifle though, I'm just used to it now. If I had it to do again I'd probably go with the 507c. Save some $ now that they have a new flagship model out. I don't see the benefits of titanium over the aluminum body of the 507 being worth the cost difference. Check out Sage Dynamics on YouTube. You should find your answer there.

A caveat with my 508t, the shake awake feature doesn't seem to be working as billed. Always lights up when I move it but only goes to sleep about 70% of the time. I replace my batteries every year on my birthday so it shouldn't be a problem. Haven't contacted Holosun. It is a new model, I might just run it how it is.

·
Premium Member
31,252 Posts
The “dot on donut” feature of the Holosun is my main attraction. The circle helps my eys funnel in on the dot,.....if that makes any sense.

As for dot size, the 3.25 moa dot is as small as I would recommend with the RMR. Its the perfect size dot for me. The 9 moa dot is super fast to acquire, fast shooting, but not a precision dot due to the size.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,453 Posts
3.25 Type 2 RMR

I have astigmatism and the 3.25 blossoms out to about a 6.

The 507c is a good buy and now that the green reticle is out, the red version is routinely on sale for sub $250. But, I will always default to RMR if choosing between the two.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have an RMR on a S&W 69. It works good. My only complaint on that one is changing the battery requires removal from the mount.
The Holosun has my interest but haven’t researched it much, thus the post to see what was working. It appears that the Holosun fits down over the mount? The green reticle is a new acknowledgment that may work better. I’m a fan of green FO’s. Most of my shooting is on paper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.